and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1500 find!

Started by Pourme, September 13, 2017, 04:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

Ed

andy1702

If that handset is ABs you could use a bit of acetone to fill the cracks and that would also keep it nice and original.

As a side note... When did the Us start putting those handset stickers on phones? I actually quite like them as they're a form of period advertising and often quite vintage looking now.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Pourme

Quote from: andy1702 on September 16, 2017, 04:17:57 PM
If that handset is ABs you could use a bit of acetone to fill the cracks and that would also keep it nice and original.

That is a thought. I may try that repair. cihensley@aol.com has been very kind and is sending me a pair of caps. I could swap the defective one and attempt that repair. I wouldn't be so nervous about ruining it then.

As a side note... When did the Us start putting those handset stickers on phones? I actually quite like them as they're a form of period advertising and often quite vintage looking now.

Local businesses gave those away back in the day. They were fairly common. I removed the sticker as I usually do. Just as in my cars, I prefer the look of originality. I left the "purchase" sticker on the back of the phone since it has Bell logos on it and was issued by the phone company, although you usually see them on the base.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AL_as_needed

Also popular before the rise of touch-tone dialing were plastic advertisement rings that would go over the phone's numbers around the rotary. Usually help on by two sided tape, some are pretty cool. I have one for Con-Eddison but it is fairly plain.
TWinbrook7

andy1702

I think I've got one of those dial ring ads to fit a 500 somewhere. They're quite rare over here because US phones that reach the UK usually get all polished up by an antiques dealer somewhere along the line. I can see a good argument for originality, but I hope somebody out there is preserving the ads too because they are still a part of the history.

How about a repository of scanned ads on here somewhere?
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Jim Stettler

Most of the "glow-in-dark" handset stickers advertise Funeral homes, they also have  the local police and fire phone numbers on them (pre 911).
Just an observation,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

The one I removed across the handset of this one was a funeral home ad...

It would be a downer to be reminded of a funeral home each time you see your phone 365 days a year...

I'd rather have a beer ad, but that's just me  ;D
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service