"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hideous Telephones

Started by Stephen Furley, August 04, 2009, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 10, 2017, 10:01:33 PM
I don't see any sign the dial is attached to the box but if it is I'd like to see the human factors studies results on dialing errors using it.

I didn't post all of the eBay pictures but I think this one shows the metal dial mount removed from a 500 base bolted to the bottom of the wood box used most likely as a "holder" for the dial when placed inside the box. The dial would sit on the mount loose until needed, then lifted out, the number dialed and then placed back on the "holder." It would be very difficult to dial a number if it could not be lifted out.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on June 10, 2017, 10:11:49 PM
I didn't post all of the eBay pictures but I think this one shows the metal dial mount removed from a 500 base bolted to the bottom of the wood box used most likely as a "holder" for the dial when placed inside the box. The dial would sit on the mount loose until needed, then lifted out, the number dialed and then placed back on the "holder." It would be very difficult to dial a number if it could not be lifted out.
Pretty goofy!  First because it requires 2 hands to dial and second because even stranded wire leads will fail in a short time if flexed routinely.  The "reasonable" thing to do would have been to mount the dial bracket on a block of wood so it's not so deep in the box and can be operated while in the bracket.  But for some reason I'm not surprised that they didn't do that.  Why am I not surprised???   ;D

Contempra

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on June 10, 2017, 09:02:04 PM
I got it.  But I am of a certain age and until recently was a resident of the very high state of Colorado.  ;)

Lucky man .. I have never lived in any other Canadian province other than Quebec ...On the other hand, I dreamed of living in the USA when I was younger but I did not know a word of English at the time.

TelePlay

Now this one may be an attention breaker. How does one keep a thought going having to look at those eyes during a call.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-Desk-Phone-working-condition-touch-tone-hand-painted-art-/201960957818

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: TelePlay on June 22, 2017, 02:28:01 PM
Now this one may be an attention breaker. How does one keep a thought going having to look at those eyes during a call.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Retro-Desk-Phone-working-condition-touch-tone-hand-painted-art-/201960957818
Frankly, I find the mouth more grotesque, though it didn't go the whole 9 yards with a tongue hanging out like the Rolling Stones album.  Now... if the eyes followed you around the room, that would be distracting!

Contempra

Il y en a qui ont pas mal de temps à perdre pour faire ce genre de peinture sur des téléphones .... C'est tellement laid ..

Sorry i write in french ,more easy to me ;)..

================

Google Translate:  "There are some who have a lot of time to lose to do this kind of painting on phones .... It's so ugly .."

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Contempra on June 22, 2017, 03:36:28 PM
Il y en a qui ont pas mal de temps à perdre pour faire ce genre de peinture sur des téléphones .... C'est tellement laid ..

Sorry i write in french ,more easy to me ;)..

================

Google Translate:  "There are some who have a lot of time to lose to do this kind of painting on phones .... It's so ugly .."
"waste" instead of "lose" would be the more typical way to say it. 

A related common expression is "too much free time" and another is "too much money and not enough common sense".

Contempra

Yes Alex but in french " perdre du temps " .. mean losing time and " Perdre son temps " mean  wasting time .. What i write in french is correct because it's in my native language ;), you're right in english .. Waste and lose seems to be of the same meaning but not because, it always depends on what you mean according to your thought ... As for me, I had the good meaning of the fact 'Perdre son temps à peinturer' meant ' Wasting time painting " if i'm right in english ..

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Contempra on June 22, 2017, 04:18:09 PM
Yes Alex but in french " perdre du temps " .. mean losing time and " Perdre son temps " mean  wasting time .. What i write in french is correct because it's in my native language ;), you're right in english .. Waste and lose seems to be of the same meaning but not because, it always depends on what you mean according to your thought ... As for me, I had the good meaning of the fact 'Perdre son temps à peinturer' meant ' Wasting time painting " if i'm right in english ..
I wasn't questioning your French.  I was questioning Google's translation, which seemed to perform a literal translation, failing to capture an expression which seems to be idiomatic in French since "perdre" literally means "to lose" but used with "son" (a possessive) changes the meaning to "waste", a different verb in English.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on June 22, 2017, 02:28:01 PM

Maybe its something mom/dad devised to keep the calls short and the personal pay out to ma bell a bit lower....
TWinbrook7

Pourme

Hideous could be in the eye of the beholder.

My eyes behold this as hideous!

(I know it's a cover,a hideous one)
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

jsowers

What's also funny about this yellow phone is the cover is covering up a really bad paint job done at the factory. My grandmother had a yellow phone like this, from 1977, without the metal cover. Note the difference in color between the unpainted dial and the switchhook. The yellow paint turned greenish yellow. It's pretty ugly even without the cover. I won't tell you what I call that yellow color, but a baby is involved. Under that paint is a pristine yellow WE phone and all you have to do is use denatured alcohol on a paper towel to get the thin paint off. It's not Polane.

Also, look at the number card. The installer, probably because this was early on in the modular years, hand-wrote an "M" on the number card to denote modular, per their rules at the time. Never saw one hand-written like that before.
Jonathan

Pourme

Good eye. I see the difference. Are you saying the cover it's self came from the phone company and not a third party?

here is a link to the auction. It's pricey!

http://tinyurl.com/yc2cxtow
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Contempra

Yark ! and the price is $125 !!