News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to use crimping tool

Started by mienaichizu, January 04, 2009, 09:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

does anyone knows how to use a crimping tool and attach a modular plug for old telephone cables? can you enlighten me?

thanks!

winkydink

Great question.  I would like to know too!

Bill

I have a crimp tool and a few of the modular plugs to go with it. Bought the set, reasonably-priced, at Lowes or some such place. It works well and is easy to use, but the plugs will accept ONLY the kinda flattish gray 4-conductor station wire that they are designed for. Nothing else will fit. When you say "old telephone cable", I assume you are referring to the round cloth-covered stuff, which won't work in these plugs.

acehardware.com, item number 32346

Perhaps there is a more capable set out there, but I bet it will cost quite a bit more.

Bill

benhutcherson

Like Bill said, I think that you can only really use the flat ribbon type cables with a crimper. House of Telephones use to sell this type of cable with brown cloth woven around it-I believe that that's what a lot of the sellers on Ebay use.

In any case, they're very straightforward to use with the proper type cable. The crimper I have has a built-in stripper which strips off the proper length of outer insulation. Once the cable is stripped, you clip a fresh plug into the tool, feed the wire into it all the way, and squeeze. That's it.

mienaichizu

thanks guys, so the crimp tool will only works on flat cord cables and not on the round ones

geez, so I have to stick on the hard wire method

bingster

They make adapters for using a hardwired cord in a modular jack.  You screw the lugs of the wires down on the adapter, then plug the adapter into the modular jack.  It's very easy, and best of all requires no permanent modifications to the phone's cord.
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

that's what I do, I buy this terminal blocks were you can screw up the hard wire spades to be connected on a modular jack