News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to hook up a multi line

Started by Konrad, January 06, 2009, 05:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konrad

Ignorant newbie question.  I see this style on eBay all the time.  How to connect two lines starting with two modular plugs (back of a VOIP router) and ending up with the connector that mates with the one in the picture? Yes the VOIP Router works with a standard single line 500.

TIA,

Konrad

benhutcherson

I'll post some photos later, but hooking up either a single line or multiple lines to a key phone is relatively straight forward.

What I don't exactly know how to do, though, is to connect two(or more) lines and allow hold, or to allow it to ring for more than one line.

I also don't know the pin outs on the big 25-conductor cable, so can't offer any help there. I always use connections inside the telephone.

Dennis Markham

Konrad, I'm afraid I can't help you here.  Outside my realm of expertise.  But I would be interested in hearing how your rotary 500 works with VOIP.  Does it ring?  Can you dial out?  What is needed to make it work??  I don't have VOIP but get many questions from people wanting to use their rotary dial phones with cable internet/telephone.

Dennis

Konrad

If using Comcast they do not officially support it.  I think that means if it stops working you have no recourse.  Comcast Arris TM502G VOIP Router works fine and rings a 500 loudly and what a sweet sound it is.  Dial out works fine.  For vonage the linksys routers do not work.  The new V-Portal is reported to work with pulse dial and I have one coming from eBay.

benhutcherson

As promised, here's some info on hooking up a 564HD key phone, and the like

When you first remove the shell, you'll see something similar to this

You'll then need to lift the dial up and out of the way, revealing this

Pay particular attention to the row of terminals across the front of the fiberboard. You'll note that they're labeled 1T 1H 1R, then 2T, and so on.

The "1" terminals correspond to key one, the one to the right of the hold key. "T" and "R" correspond to tip and ring. So, if you connect the tip and ring(red and green) from line 1 to 1T and 1R, you can access line 1 when key 1 is pressed in.

Likewise, tip and ring from line 2 go to 2T and 2R, and it will work in a similar manner to line 1, only corresponding to the pressing of key 2.

Unfortunately, like I said, there's no way to hold without using some sort of external circuitry. Remember that these were designed to be used with a key system, which operated all of the hold circuitry, as well as the lamps and other aspects.

Now, let's cover getting it to ring. Unfortunately, there's no direct way I know of to have the telephone ring for both lines. You can, however, get it to ring for one of the two lines. If you'll look in the above photo, you'll see a red wire connected to the terminal at the far right, and a black wire in the row above this. These connect to the ringer.

These red and black wires should be connected to tip and ring on the line on which ringing is desired.

Konrad

Thank You.  I can't remember where but I saw a miniature electronic ringer that said it would allow the second line to ring.  That now makes perfect sense, if I can just find the link again.