"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Opening a really tough to open 302

Started by benhutcherson, January 14, 2009, 05:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

Hello Folks,
I just picked up, locally, a nice 302(with felt feet!) with an uncracked case. This is my first 302 that doesn't have some damage somewhere, so I'm really trying to handle it carefully.

The only issue is that, for the life of me, I can't get the top off. In the past, I've been able to pry the bottom down with a screwdriver through the cord slot at the back. It's not working with this one, though, and I don't want to apply too much force for fear of breaking something that's not already broken.

Does anyone have any favorite suggestions for opening such a phone? I will, of course, carve out the corners once I get it open.

Thanks,
Ben

Dennis Markham

Ben,

I've only had one like that and I just kept working at it until I got it open.  But I was sure it would break (and it didn't).  When all else fails.........

Use a HAIR DRYER to warm up the plastic!  :)  Seriously, warm the plastic, plastic expands...maybe shoot a tiny bit of WD 40 where the plastic is stuck against the metal base.

Dennis

winkydink

Quote from: benhutcherson on January 14, 2009, 05:18:52 PM
Hello Folks,
I just picked up, locally, a nice 302(with felt feet!) with an uncracked case. This is my first 302 that doesn't have some damage somewhere, so I'm really trying to handle it carefully.

The only issue is that, for the life of me, I can't get the top off. In the past, I've been able to pry the bottom down with a screwdriver through the cord slot at the back. It's not working with this one, though, and I don't want to apply too much force for fear of breaking something that's not already broken.

Does anyone have any favorite suggestions for opening such a phone? I will, of course, carve out the corners once I get it open.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben,

My uncracked 302 was just like that.  I used a hair dryer for several minutes on the plastic, trying not to also heat up the metal base.  I was then able to wiggle the shell enough to free it.  Others might have a better method but using the properties of metal and plastic, I figured that plastic would expand faster than metal when heated.

benhutcherson

Thanks for the responses, folks.

I'm currently at school, and thus don't have access to the full complement of tools I would otherwise have. I'll haul it into the lab tomorrow, and use the official Chemistry department hair dryer to try and open it(only hair dryer I have access to).

I'm really excited about this one-I think it should clean up nicely. I am sort of anxious, though, to see how old the base is, given the felt feet on it.

Sargeguy

Put it in the oven on the lowest setting until it heats up.  Have oven mitts ready. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benhutcherson

I finally managed to coax it open. It's filthy, but thankfully all there(unlike my last ringerless 302)

It's 9/48 throughout, save for the 9-55 #6 dial. I'm generally against part swapping on principle, but I think I have a '48 5H that might accidentally get put in :).

Dennis, since you indicated that the wool footed 302 you had was late '30s, I find it interesting that one this late has wool feet. Have you encountered any other of these?

Dennis Markham

No Ben, I haven't.  I don't know when they used the wool feet as opposed to the suede covered foot pads.  It would make sense that the earlier sets had them but as we've all said so many times, anything is possible.  1948 does seem late but your set is all original except for the dial.  But if they replaced the pads when they replaced the dial you'd think they'd be suede.  I have only come on ONE set of wool pads.  I haven't worked on as many 302's as 500's but have handled quite a few.  That's pretty neat that you have those matching dates and wood pads too!  I look forward to seeing this phone when you get time to take photos.

benhutcherson

Dennis,
Thanks again for your input. I'll get some photos put up this weekend.

Unfortunately, the feet on this one are in really bad shape. Two are completely bare, and the other two are torn on at least one side. I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do, but I may end up using modern felt to recover the two worse ones, and leaving the ones with something left on them as-is.

One of my recent Ebay purchases, a 302 with a bad case crack on the side, has a 5H with a 2-48 date. I may end up putting that dial on this telephone. Like I said, I generally don't like to swap parts, but it sure is tempting to make a nice 302 with the only harm being to a not-so-nice telephone.

benhutcherson

I should also had that the store I bought this from had Simichrome for sale up on the counter. Since I've heard and seen so many great things about it on here, I figured I'd pick up a tube. So far, I'm impressed-it seems to take more effort to get a good shine than does Brasso, but the resulting shine is much brighter.

I think I definitely prefer it to Brasso.

Steve

IIRC Brasso has a fairly harsh abrasive. Simichrome is milder. I used Simichrome on an old 1911 I had, followed by wax, and it brought it back to life. if it wont remove (much) bluing, I would have to think it's a really mild polish. I like the results it gives better than other products.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.