"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

354 score!

Started by AT2796, July 17, 2020, 05:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AT2796

Hello everyone!

Thought I would share my latest score. I acquired this mostly '49 354 on a little clean up job.
Except for the 6D dial (9/55)and the elements (T '47, R '55) all is 12 or IV 49.

Before the pics, a couple of questions.

The 6D dial, is "D" a color designation? I haven't seen many of these 354's, but never one with the white/clear dial except for the one on OPW being sold as original white. Any insight?

Next is the B2AL ringer, it wants to ring, but needs a little finger help to get it going. Does it only need a cleaning and a drop of oil on the pivot pin?

The handset cord is wasted. Restraint dated '56. Just some more business for OPW! I'm thinking of brown cloth, the black cloth is a dust magnet!

Talks and dials like a champ (aside from static from the handset cord) rings as described above.

Here come the pics. I look forward to your comments!
Andy

AT2796

All disassembled now, start cleaning this weekend.
Just need to decide if I want to work on the F1 or buy one of the pretty ones from OPW. Does anyone know if Matt will "hand pick" if you ask nicely? I'd love to have a couple 12/49 elements.
Couple more pics Following.
Andy

oldguy

Great find, I can't wait to see it 🧼
Gary

Should look good when you're finished with it. I have one in my collection. They are wall version of the 302.

Babybearjs

don't forget that the modular adapter plate will work on this phone. if you have an extra one, yopu can use it...that way it will connect to the newer equipment...
John

AT2796

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 18, 2020, 01:03:00 PM
don't forget that the modular adapter plate will work on this phone. if you have an extra one, yopu can use it...that way it will connect to the newer equipment...

Would that be the same base on an old 554?
Andy

Babybearjs

if you want to call it that..... they have been around since the 1970's....
John

HarrySmith

This is the wall plate being discussed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293651923066
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

I used to buy 554's for up to $5.00 to get the mod conversion plates.
These can be modified to fit an AE 90.
They also made one for a 2554 and some for trimlines. Including the round top baseplate trimline wall phone.

I cut down a round top trimeline modplate to use on a rounded top AE spacesaver.
I have a box of them for NT 2554's .
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Yeah, I have used them for AE 90's also. Just need to drill 2 holes in the plate & bolt the phone on.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AT2796

Thanks guys!
I could strip the one from my 554 to mount this one in the kitchen.
Andy

Babybearjs

the metal one are the originals.... the plastic ones are from AE. I perfere the metal over plastic because of the design.... its funny how WE kept the mounting specs even with both model series.... (300, 500) I was surprised the 354's actually fit on the 228 modular bases....
John

compubit

Also, IIRC, the AE back plates were designed for AE's wall jacks, which had a different screw and plug layout than WE's. they stuck a good 1/2 to 3/4" from the back of the plate (vs. WE's Slightly recessed plug).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

SUnset2

The modular adapter plates fit the 354s perfectly, the screws are in the exact same place.  The plated finish stood out too obviously for me, so I spray painted the plate black to match the phone.  It looks original. 

Pourme

~

I have a 354 that is my birthday phone, of which I'm very proud.

You should be proud of yours as well.....

Very nice restoration!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service