News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black Metal WE 302 With Original Paint

Started by Craig T, March 06, 2010, 10:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

The 226 exchange (CAnal 6 or otherwise) was probably found in many places throughout the country. 
= DARRIN =

Craig T

Bingster,

I think I understand, yes I was/am that lost  :-\

226 comes after the area code now a days, for example Marquette today could be 906-226-XXXX

The area code is unique and the next numbers could be the same in many places. Am I on the mark now?

Dennis here are the dates of the components you asked about

Transmitter 6/46
Receiver 6/46
Handset (no idea where the date would be)
Ringer 6/46
Condenser 6/46
Bells 41A 41B
Base 6/46
Case (no actual date only says H-1, someone must have cleaned it off already  :-\

bingster

Quote from: Craig T on March 22, 2010, 07:42:02 PM226 comes after the area code now a days, for example Marquette today could be 906-226-XXXX

The area code is unique and the next numbers could be the same in many places. Am I on the mark now?

Exactly.  When area codes came in, exchanges didn't change.  You'd only find a given exchange once in each area code, but it was possible for each area code to have the same exchange in it.  For reference, here are the different parts of a phone number (301-345-6172 for example):

301 = area code
345 = exchange
6172 = station number
= DARRIN =

dencins

Quote from: bingster on March 22, 2010, 10:13:41 PM
Quote from: Craig T on March 22, 2010, 07:42:02 PM226 comes after the area code now a days, for example Marquette today could be 906-226-XXXX

Exactly.  When area codes came in, exchanges didn't change.  You'd only find a given exchange once in each area code, but it was possible for each area code to have the same exchange in it.  For reference, here are the different parts of a phone number (301-345-6172 for example):

301 = area code
345 = exchange
6172 = station number

I am trying to remember how I made long distance calls before area codes (yes, I am that old but unfortunately that is probably why I can not remember).  I thought I called the operator and gave her the number I was calling but I do not recall giving her any more information like town or state.  If exchanges (CA6-, etc.) were duplicated I do not know how she knew where I was calling unless I told her the state and do not remember doing it.  

I know I did not make many long distance calls since they were very expensive.

Dennis

bingster

After you called the long distance operator, you'd have to give her the number, city, and state.
= DARRIN =

Craig T

Some April Fool's Day. Came down this morning and my phone was tagged! No idea who got me!  :o  ::)

Here is the final turnout. I spent a lot of hours on this phone. I cleaned almost every little piece inside and out. I have never spent so much time or care on a single phone.

The phone is in its original state, paint, feet, and all.

JorgeAmely

Very nice job Craig (A.K.A. El Guapo).

I like the way you fixed the handset cord.
Jorge

Craig T

Thanks Jorge  :)

I cannot tuck anymore cord into the handset, so it is a good thing the fraying was not a single coil longer.

The handset cord looks washed out to me. I would like to dye it to tell you the truth. Then again it will just end up a slightly different shade than the line cord again. For now I will leave it as is. I was thinking it might show better with a reproduction cord? Do you think so?

Dennis Markham

Great job, Craig.  That is a very nice looking telephone.  The cord looks great!

Craig T

Thank you Dennis, I am very happy with the turnout on my first metal 302. The failure on the crack repair kind of botched my first attempt at a 302 restoration.

The inside took me twice as long maybe more than the outside. There are a lot of screws and pieces to shine in the 302. Here is a look. I even managed to keep the wires pretty professional looking.

Netdewt

This looks excellent. Did you take each part out of the inside to clean, then reassemble? I want to do this but it makes me nervous I'll end up with a box full of parts and no phone.

I hope I can get a nice shine out of my handset like yours. It's so dull compared to the rest of the phone.

Craig T

Thanks Netdewt, I did take everything out to shine it up. I recommend you

take pictures of everything inside before starting. I was given that pearl of wisdom from several other members here, it has helped me out of quite a few jams.

The handset was not bad to start with again. I cannot get a worn out one to come back this nice. Bakelite handsets are harder to shine in general, I have seen good results with Brasso and Simichrome too. I would like to hear if anyone has tried the Glazit stuff with any success.

This soft black 500 I fixed up had a bad handset on it. Look close at the after pictures and you can see it is still washed out looking. A bakelite handset that is in decent shape to start with helps quite a bit.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2147.0

Jim Stettler

Black shoe polish will bring back the color on worn handsets. I have used a silicon based polish in the past.

I havn't used glazit in years, but I was impressed at the efforts vs results with glazit.
From a resell standpoint (to the public)  glazit (spray on, wipe off ) increased the resell value of old phones by at least $20-30+ . For -5 min. of labor.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Craig T

How was the glayzit for staying on the handset Jim? Like say if it was one in use versus one on display. Would glazit be more for a display phone or could it be used without rub-off too?

Does it still show the fine wood flour grains in the handset like the shoe polish does?

Jim Stettler

Craig,
It is sold for telephone shine. I only used it on phones I was selling in an antique mall. I never expermented to see how long the shine stayed. Obviously a display phone would shine longer than a daily work-horse. I was impressed enough by glazit to recomend it as a finishing product.
Jim

Not all shoe polish is equal. They have many different bases. I selected silivcon as a durable shine, however I never compared it to the other bases.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.