News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Drought Is Over... Brown Stromberg Carlson 554

Started by Craig T, February 26, 2010, 06:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Well I thought I struck out at the Goodwill on my way home again. It has been quite a while since I have pulled a phone out of a thrift. I was just going to walk off and this Brown SC 554 caught my eye. I eagerly grabbed it and turned it around hoping it was not broken. It was not broken, thank goodness.

I even remembered to grab a dowel rod today, so now I can try to fix some of my cords up too!

Dan

Nice. I have the desk set, same SC color, also @ a goodwill. Mine set me back $3. What did yours run? It's my benchwarmer until I can get that Mahogany Brown WE500!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Craig T

Hi Dan,

Thanks, I think it will clean up nice. The price was the same on this one, $3. I am focusing on desk phones right now, but for $3 who wouldn't.

That Mahogany Brown sounds nice! I have a feeling that this will be about as close as I get to one of those though  :)

AET

- Tom

Craig T

Thanks McHeath, I have a few nice phones to clean up again now. I must be spoiled, b/c I even skipped a dead of the winter yard sale today!  :o

Thanks Tom, did not know that, I will put that info with the phone.

AET

You're welcome.  How far did it travel to get to the yardsale near you?
- Tom

Craig T

Hi Tom, I found this phone at the Goodwill in Marquette MI. We are about 3.5 hours from Green Bay, make that 2.5 with the new highway that was put in.

AET

Well, it made it 140 miles before you got it!  Crandon's a pretty little town up north.  Very Mayberry like.
- Tom

Craig T

Well here is the finale on this one...

Craig T

I need some help... again. This red wire from the ringer was unconnected when I opened this one up. I think it goes on one of these screws, but which one?

If anyone has a list of how this should be wired that would be even better. If there is one unconnected wire, I wonder about the other too. I would like to check them over. I guessing the one on the left since it had the most threads on the screw exposed? Thanks for your help!  -Craig

Dennis Markham

Craig, I would think that it is just like the 425B network.  Connect it to L2 if it is a C4A ringer and see if that works.

McHeath

Yeah it should work as Dennis says.  If not then try the old hunt and peck method, call the phone and while it's supposed to be ringing start touching the red wire to likely terminals until you get a ring.  Well, that's what I do sometimes, and it's not probably a good idea, so there is the disclaimer.

The phone looks great as always, that brown is very attractive. 

Craig T

Thanks Heath, I will get this phone tested and ready for market. I just don't want any more wall phones right now. I also like the color, so if it stays around that is fine too.

I am trying to close on a yellow phone right now, but there is talk of a funky on/off switch on it. Been looking a lot and not finding a much lately. Time to hit the pavement again and go phone hunting  :)