News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

10/38 WE 302 Lavender Paint

Started by Doug Rose, October 17, 2016, 06:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Robbie....is this an Old Chicago Phone? Lavender Paint job is superb, most of the tiny specs wiped off only a few chips. It has the real thin line and handset cloth cord that Old Chicago used. I was just going to bed when this came on Thursday night, I debated a bit, only four pics.... looked like a 38 or 39 base....so I  pulled the trigger. 10/ 38 on everything.  I will replace the cords, I think it is a keeper for $12.95....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282219121093?
Kidphone

rdelius

It is a Chicago Old Telephone  set.I might have built it.If cords cable tied or knotted, It was not my set. I followed the origional method.Suprised that it has no chrome bands on the handset

WEBellSystemChristian

I could definitely see a market for telephones that passed through 3rd party refurb shops like Old Chicago in the future. They were done pretty well, and look authentic to any non-collector.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

Weren't most 302s painted in 1938?   (yes, I know that isn't a standard color!)

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on October 18, 2016, 07:23:00 PM
Weren't most 302s painted in 1938?   (yes, I know that isn't a standard color!)

Yes, in the most popular of hues, black.
As far as we can tell, colored 302s may have just got their start in late 1938 and 1939.  The 1939 catalog lists them.

Doug Rose

Robbie says I need chrome bands for it. Anyone have any for trade or for sale.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

All tooling and resources went to Old phone works in Canada.i assume he contunued to put bands on  F!handsets

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on October 17, 2016, 08:04:25 PM
It is a Chicago Old Telephone  set.I might have built it.If cords cable tied or knotted, It was not my set. I followed the origional method.Suprised that it has no chrome bands on the handset
Looks like you built it Robbie!!
Kidphone

rdelius

I see it was a 304 I wired as a 302

Babybearjs

...and why did you do that?? I would have left it as a 304....
John

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Babybearjs on October 22, 2016, 08:16:15 PM
He worked for a refurbishment company. Their main goal was to make the phones work for customers, not for collectible value.
Christian Petterson

rdelius

Any body else there would have replaced the ind coil and cut off the extra hookswitch wires.Telephones were sold to people who wanted a good looking reliable old telephone that had a guarantee if it needed repairs.Colors were what was in at the time.

poplar1

Quote from: Babybearjs on October 22, 2016, 08:16:15 PM
He did leave it a 304 -- but wired for an individual line.

Think of all the 354s that Western Electric made, even though the extra "M" tap on the induction coil, and the extra 2 ringer wires, were rarely used! The 354s were usually used on individual lines, or on flat rate party lines, or for ring party on party lines that did have ANI: none of these needed the M tap or the extra ringer wires, so the 354 in most cases was wired to be equivalent to a 302 rather than a 304.

Rather than butcher a 304, to make it into a 302, the intelligent way is to wire it like a 354 that is wired for individual lines. The 354 has an "E" terminal for connecting the slate and slate-red ringer wires together for individual lines. In a 304 or 5304, you can substitute the GND terminal for E and tape and store the yellow mounting cord connector that normally would be on GND.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Still looking for chrome bands for the headset. I am willing to trade or buy them from you....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson