News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Hello, 50yr+ old collectibles don't need the coin parts removed to work on a home phone line. Doing so reduces their value. Just disconnect, not cut, one of the dial shorting contact leads on the lower coin relay, then ease it into either collect or refund and tie it. Type 685 subsets aren't rare, or mount 500 set parts in a small utility box thereby preserving the phone's historical value. When I get one of these conversions, I immediately rip out this improvised junk and reinstall the original parts. I don't go by ebay prices I find better prices on parts and subsets at phone shows and swap meets.
Technical "Stuff" / Re: WE500 Network Question
Last post by TelePlay - Yesterday at 05:49:49 PM
This is an original 1957 WE 425B network I have on my bench. L1 and C are hard wired to the hook switch. All other connections are screw terminals. Looks just like yours.
Last post by HarrySmith - Yesterday at 05:10:08 PM
Agreed. Both are correct for an early WE network. What phone is it in? An early 500? Got any pictures of the phone?
Last post by TelePlay - Yesterday at 04:46:06 PM
This is a photo of an open network showing components inside the network, their placement and how they are attached. Kind of tight.

Seems "everything" hangs from the top either by a soldered or a mechanical means.

Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by MMikeJBenN27 - Yesterday at 04:09:42 PM
Kool!  I have one of those handsets, but it is missing the contact finger for the transmitter, and I wouldn't know how to hook it up anyway, as the colors are in French, and I don't know how to speak French.

Mike
Technical "Stuff" / Re: Question about hookswitch ...
Last post by MaximRecoil - Yesterday at 03:38:51 PM
I just got the "cam lobe" made and mocked it up in there (I just taped it to the "camshaft" and the 2 additional microswitches aren't wired up yet; when I finish it will be super glued to the shaft), and it works perfectly. When I depress the hook switch lever the first microswitch actuates (which I'll wire as the receiver muting switch) and then the next two microswitches actuate (which I'll wire as switches for L1 and L2).

The receiver muting switch should be wired to the same two terminals on the network that the two receiver wires are wired to (R and GN), is that right?

I've attached a short video of it working (hookswitch.zip), along with a couple of pictures.
Collector's Corner / Re: French Grammont phone frag...
Last post by countryman - Yesterday at 02:51:02 PM
Thanks a lot Etienne,
I eventually found a template to reproduce:
Last post by TelePlay - Yesterday at 01:29:40 PM
Two different red circles, first one is holding a component inside the network in place and the second is an early connection of one lead to the other side screw terminal.

This is an early WE 425B network.
Last post by dsk - Yesterday at 12:34:45 PM
That is original. Later version did use screw terminals only.
Last post by Gerd - Yesterday at 11:14:56 AM
Here is another Picture of the same Network. Is this original or has someone worked on it and soldered the cable? The Price for the phone is not that cheap and I want to be sure that it is in good technical condition.

EDIT: Just found out that this seems to be orign. Watched a video on YT.