Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Auction Talk / Re: Quite a collection @ auction
« Last post by countryman on Yesterday at 03:47:29 AM »
99% of the candlesticks offered in Germany are repros, I never look at them.
Collector's Corner / Re: PTT 24 French Desk Set with Larger AE Style Dial
« Last post by FABphones on Yesterday at 03:19:51 AM »
Is that handset the Type A used on the AA1 cradle phone that preceded the B mount 102 phone?

In France it is called the E4. The Model 1924 handset was produced before the U.S. Western Electric E handset.

Model 1924 telephone was designed by LMT, the French R&D arm of Western Electric (possibly LMT / Bell Labs jointly developed the handset).
Auction Talk / Re: Vintage 1920's Nickel Plate SC Leich fluted candlestick
« Last post by RB on Yesterday at 02:33:07 AM »
Indian repop?
One thing I have noticed since resolving the receiver-off-hook issue is that there's a loud click when I lift or replace the handset.  I found a few threads on this topic but none were specific to a manual D1.  A common suggestion was to examine the pile-up or remove the green mounting cord lead from the subset as a test, but I'm not clear on what the green lead test indicates.

Will this loud click eventually wreck the receiver element?  I hear no click at all on my 5302 when I lift the handset and keep the plunger depressed until I have the receiver to my ear.  I know that's kind of an apples and oranges comparison, but it does indicate that the loud click is specific to the manual D1.  Currently those are the only vintage phones I have working in the house.  The remaining one is a Panasonic cordless. 

I'm wondering if the problem may lie with the 554-C subset.  IIRC, the dial set I had connected to it made a similar loud click, but there were no loud clicks when the finger wheel returned.  I doubt that both the dial set and the manual have identical issues with their switch piles. 

Collector's Corner / Re: PTT 24 French Desk Set with Larger AE Style Dial
« Last post by MMikeJBenN27 on Yesterday at 12:56:52 AM »
Is that handset the Type A used on the AA1 cradle phone that preceded the B mount 102 phone?

Mike
Auction Talk / Vintage 1920's Nickel Plate SC Leich fluted candlestick
« Last post by Doug Rose on December 04, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
This is on eBay and it is just a stunning stick.

I love the fluted shaft!

I have never seen a metal receiver. 

Advertised as Leich transmitter with and SC shaft.

Opinions?.....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284524322292
Auction Talk / Re: Quite a collection @ auction
« Last post by FABphones on December 04, 2021, 04:55:37 PM »
Some very nice phones.

I would avoid this one though. Marked GEC, Made in England.
Auction Talk / Quite a collection @ auction
« Last post by countryman on December 04, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »
on German eBay
classy stuff, someone is selling a nice collection.
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: D1/554-C Suddenly Creating Off Hook Condition
« Last post by rp2813 on December 04, 2021, 03:18:51 PM »
Yes and Yes. 

Per my notations, the black lead from the dial set was on GND, which I interpret as unused, and the yellow was on Y, which shares its terminal with L2, right? 

From the manual set, I had the black lead on L2 and the yellow was on C.  I don't know how I arrived at that configuration, but there was some guesswork involved since there's no diagram for the 554-C.

I don't think the dial set's mounting cord was miswired since it worked fine for several years, but it's puzzling why it suddenly made busy.

New Member Introductions / Re: New member from France
« Last post by ReneRondeau on December 04, 2021, 11:37:39 AM »
Bienvenu!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »