Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
New Member Introductions / New member from France
« Last post by Etienne on December 04, 2021, 05:42:14 AM »
Good morning (well, right now is 11 AM in France) everybody!

I incidentally started collecting phones some years ago, when I was a teenager, with what was widely available on french flea markets: S63, found there an ivory wall version of U43, etc. An ivory touch-tone S63 was almost my only everyday phone for 6 years. Never wanted a mobile.
I later got a RFT W38/58 which remained my everyday phone for 2 years, and has since been replaced by a black GPO 312 as the previous one needs service- really have to do that as it was my favorite one, although I must say the bells of the GPO sound absolutely gorgeous- could not say that about the east-German glass bells...
My collection is centered on European phones (in fact, for now only French, German, Belgian and British) mostly made of metal, Bakelite and (very few) plastics. For an everyday use though, I consider Bakelite is the only decent way: beautiful, smooth, comfortable (and warm), with the right weight and balance.
I originally registered to the forum in January, then lost my password, found it again (in the car's boot...), tried to change it: didn't work, left it away... tried again several months later... it worked! Patience et longueur de temps font plus que force ni que rage.
Candlestick Phones / Re: French ‘Teprina’ Candlestick
« Last post by Etienne on December 04, 2021, 05:06:48 AM »
Hello, and sorry for the very late reply.
Yes, I am in France, and will present myself in the appropriate section.
To this candlestick, if I am not mistaken, those were produced in France as the Modèle 1918, which was the CB, urban counterpart of the Marty 1910. Gorgeous phones, really! I have a fragment of one such phone from AOIP- delightful. As very, very few places were automated back then (if I remember well, only parts of Marseille since 1913, Paris only after 1924), it was not foreseen to have a dial. it was then superseded by the PTT 1924, so its production time would range from 1918-20 to 1927.
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: D1/554-C Suddenly Creating Off Hook Condition
« Last post by rp2813 on December 04, 2021, 02:46:41 AM »
It works! 

I don't know why, but for some reason I had made a note that the yellow lead from the phone terminated on C.  I guess I had looked at too many diagram scenarios.  This still doesn't explain why the dial set was creating the busy condition, but I'm not going to try to figure that one out.  I never should have entertained the thought that at 90 years old, a WeCO product could have possibly failed.

Capacitor wiring was correct, so only the yellow mounting cord lead was wrongly placed.  The sidetone isn't nearly as bad with the manual's F1 handset as it was with the dial set's E1, which is retrofitted with an F1 transmitter but still has its funky 4/30 receiver element.

Pop, thanks a million for your expert help.  The phone niche is back in business!
If the ringer is connected to L1 and RR, then the capacitor for the ringer should be on L2 and RR. (Thus, the ringer is in series with the capacitor.)

Is the other capacitor (talk capacitor) connected to L2 and C?

And you need only 3 conductors from the phone to the subset since this is a sidetone subset:

Red to R
Green to GN
Yellow to L2/Y
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: D1/554-C Suddenly Creating Off Hook Condition
« Last post by rp2813 on December 04, 2021, 01:24:25 AM »
Well this is interesting.  I disconnected all of the manual desk set's leads and now there's no busy signal and the subset rings.  That is without changing the ringer leads which have been on L1 and RR for the past several years with the dial set hooked up.  Is there any need to switch the one L1 lead over to L2?

This has me wondering what caused the busy signal when neither the dial set or the subset had been touched, knocked around, banged into or anything else.  Does the ringing subset without a phone attached implicate the condenser?  I have some 302s that I can pull a condenser from if that should be my next course of action.

Thanks for the excellent coaching on this.  i'm not feeling so hopeless now.
Not sure what the problem is. Does the subset busy out the line even with no phone connected to it?

In the diagram, it appears that the other condenser (the one connected to L2 and C), if shorted, would also make busy the line. Do you have a spare 195A condenser from a 302?

This subset was originally designed for the 50-C or 51-C desk stand (candlestick). The ringer was in series with a normally closed pair of contacts. So with a 102 (or 202 with the black mtg. cord lead not used), you would have to connect the ringer to L2 and RR rather than L2 and B (or strap B and RR).

(per BSP C63.374 i3 in TCI library)
Wooden Phones / Re: Western Electric wooden telephone types
« Last post by poplar1 on December 04, 2021, 12:24:14 AM »
86E, suite:
Wooden Phones / Re: Western Electric wooden telephone types
« Last post by poplar1 on December 04, 2021, 12:17:10 AM »
Type 86E -- there are extra holes at the top for binding posts, but on the back, only 2 connections at top.
Intercom & Interphone Systems / Interesting Telephone Exchange For Rotary Phones
« Last post by 5415551212 on December 03, 2021, 11:01:24 PM »
Has anyone seen or tried out this interesting Telephone Exchange For Rotary Phones?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133837986817
Seems like a neat project, kinda like the DIY stuff I do with old key DP-1900 intercoms.
Auction Talk / Re: Green North Wall telephone N 561?
« Last post by Daniel B. on December 03, 2021, 10:46:32 PM »
Thanks David. I will take in consideration your advice for the handset. I progressed in my research about this kellogg handset who come with this phone.  I will post some photos for you soon and I will add more infos about this phone by the same time...I hope to be able to do it this week end... I received my 3rd shoot of the covid vaccin and I have some side effects....For now, I don't feel good and I really need to return to sleep.

See you soon
Daniel B.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »