Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
As a former telco employee, I stopped myself from using an acronym in the "Troubleshooting" forum to describe the condition a subset is manifesting on my POTS line that I'm currently trying to resolve:

ROH = Receiver Off Hook
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: D1/554-C Suddenly Creating Off Hook Condition
« Last post by rp2813 on December 03, 2021, 03:19:48 PM »
OK, disabling the ringer didn't change anything.  That this situation presented itself without ever opening up the subset or interfering in any way with the wiring from the jack or the phone's mounting cord suggests it's an internal problem with the subset.  I have a 5302 that's hooked up to the same dual modular jack that the subset uses, and the 5302 works fine. 

Since the manual phone has the identical problem that the dial set did, it's hard not to point the finger at the subset.  I wonder if the ringer jarred something loose elsewhere in the subset.  I'm not averse to substituting circuitry inside the D1 base that will make it work without a subset.  I used to have such a board, but I think it got lost in the move.  It's not in my parts box.  If anyone knows where I can get one, that may be the best solution.  I located my 634-BC subset last night (not a 684 as I mistakenly referred to it in the OP).  I've been planning to mount it on one of the floor joists in the basement to run my manual space saver.  That ringer will certainly be heard upstairs.

I'm still open to any other suggestions before declaring my pristine 554-C non-viable.  If the ringer assembly from the 634 can be switched out just for testing, I'm willing to try that.  It appears to be identical to the ringer on the 554.
Here's a picture of the niche in my 1922 house.  In another discussion when I previously posted this picture, I mentioned that for a couple of reasons the niche didn't strike me as being original to the house:  There is no inset below for the subset, and there's a hard wired jack in the upper left corner of the niche.  The jack has vintage braided woven leads (painted many times over) so it was installed early on, but it seems like an odd placement.  It was disabled long ago.
Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: D1/554-C Suddenly Creating Off Hook Condition
« Last post by rp2813 on December 03, 2021, 02:20:13 PM »
Thanks Pop, I will try that and report back.  I don't mind if the ringer has to be disabled.  It's right outside my bedroom and can wake the dead. 

FAB, there is a picture of my niche in in an old thread.  It shows the phone I'm trying to hook up there.  I found a vintage 1947 brown woven mounting cord for it on eBay just recently.  I came across the thread as I was combing through the troubleshooting discussions last night.  I made it to page 25, which is only about 1/4 of the way through.  It will be easier to find it in my picture files, so will do that soon.
554C has two capacitors. The one for the ringer may be shorted out. Try disconnecting one of the ringer wires temporarily.
Auction Talk / Re: Green North Wall telephone N 561?
« Last post by david@london on December 03, 2021, 06:05:49 AM »
Daniel, just my opinion but the Kellogg handset is part of the phone's history, matches the Kellogg numbercard and is a great design itself. A lot better than a painted handset I would think.

Great collection you have.....un veritable musée téléphonique.

Could you post a photo of the maker's logo on your North handset pls? Merci!
… I had some health issues (all good now)…

…It's a drag finally having a niche but not having a working phone in it.

Welcome back. Glad to read you are on the mend.

You have a phone niche? Photos please - thread here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25724

:)
Does your property have a Phone Niche / Phone Nook?

With so many now lost through modernisation of properties, let’s add photos of ours here.

Mine below. Home made as close to original design as possible using reclaim wood.
« Last post by Daniel B. on December 03, 2021, 12:42:20 AM »
I forgot....

This is the forum link where you can see the new photos of my phones collection....I made some change since my last post 3 years ago...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19763.0

Enjoy your virtual visit of my small private telephones museum

Daniel B.
« Last post by Daniel B. on December 03, 2021, 12:34:05 AM »
It's the same for me Larry,I never seen the kellogg handset....Those North phone in color are almost impossible to find so I'm still really happy of my purchase. I received this North phone today. I will post more photos as soon is possible. Except the handset, this phone is perfect at all....soft plastic made and no crack... If I'm very fortunate,  I will find a green North handset alone....For now, I will try to paint a black north handset in green.

I updated my museum photos:

You will be able to see my black North phone with my other wall phone....I will install my green North close to this black North after a good cleaning.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »