Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
This telephone was made in 2 different versions, with or without a battery-box with line terminals etc.

I have problems to find any significant difference except for that box, the handset used and  that the one without battery-box has stamped 4.5V on close to the battery terminals.

I have tried to translate the text on the original German circuit diagram, and added some values.

Answers around  the phone related but non circuit related could be posted here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=25826.msg252972#msg252972

The ringer is pretty surprising: 2x 700 ohms coils in parallel. Or maybe not, because that makes a holding coil of 350 ohms, and still a pretty sensitive ringer.

The REN load in CB mode is measured to be approx 4.5

While writing this it popped in a message to clarify the ringer resistance, and the ringer in OB 38 should be around 2500 to 2800 ohms, so I am slightly confused because mine has no text about battery voltage.  Maybe the wartime made it a little more flexible.

With a high ohm ringer the CB mode will not be working so the 39 version might be an improvement in that direction.

The difference between the 38  and 39 version is that the 38 Version uses a standard field telephone handset plugged in, and the battery box with one single 1.5V battery.  The 39 version are more for fixed locations and instead of the battery box it is intended to be a wall box with 4.5V larger batteries. the handset looks pretty similar, but without press to talk button. The higher voltage makes the need of a different transmitter capsule, probably equal to the SB phone of that era. (like those used in W28 etc)

The info I got about the ringers are here:
Hot water with a little soap was all that was needed to clean it.
Flea Market/Yard Sale/Antique Store Finds / Re: Old Rose 302
« Last post by SUnset2 on January 15, 2022, 01:21:34 AM »
Nice find!  The manual version is rarer, so unless you plan to use it to make calls, I would leave it as-is.  I've seen these with either straight or coiled cords.  The old cloth coiled cords would lose their springiness, but the reproductions are OK.  The straight reproductions are cheaper, though.  If the cover was tight to remove, modify the corners on the base so it doesn't cause a strain and make it crack.  I cut slots with a Dremel, and bend the rim inward.
« Last post by Babybearjs on January 14, 2022, 07:17:13 PM »
my experience with the colored sets is that they are harder to restore because of the plastic used. I had a beige 302 that had been left in the sun and heat over the years and the plastic had turned tortus shell.... lots of discolorization and the handset caps would not stay on or would be frozen. I wound up having to scrap the phone and use the parts in other phones or as spares. this old rose pink looks good for its age, but you can tell the shell is worn. wonder if the unit could still support a #5 dial? on the one I had, it was OK, but the dial was a pain to remove as the plastic has shrunk and I had to work on removing the #5 dial.
« Last post by TelePlay on January 14, 2022, 04:21:30 PM »
There are endless posts here on getting the pictures up correctly:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=84.0

Yes, that is true, but thanks to the KB/SL edit issues, one can only edit their post, to include rotating images, for 3 hours after the post/reply was made.

After that time period, a request must be sent to a Global Moderator by way of PM or to all Global Moderators using the “Report to Moderator” link shown in each and every post/reply asking to rotate images. If using the PM route, a link to the post/reply must be included.

And, no, the edit period can not be increased. A sign of the times and historical precedent.
« Last post by HarrySmith on January 14, 2022, 02:06:01 PM »
I think the straight cord, that's what it would have had originally. They do sell the coiled cords in the correct color. If you are going to use it that would work better.
« Last post by persido on January 14, 2022, 01:35:38 PM »
I got it open all dates are 9/50. what type of cord do you think would look good on the phone?  A straight cord or a curly cord.

Thanks Scot
Telephone Restoration Projects and Techniques / Re: AE 40 Handset Issue (Fungus)
« Last post by Doug Rose on January 14, 2022, 11:59:38 AM »
It must have been hit as it will not turn and any lubrication does no good. I have plenty of AE dials, but I find it hard to remove the Black plate. Not a simple take as the normal AE dials...Doug
Telephone Restoration Projects and Techniques / Re: AE 40 Handset Issue (Fungus)
« Last post by tubaman on January 14, 2022, 11:41:00 AM »
What's the issue with the dial as it looks ok in the photos?
Across The Web / Re: Vintage looking handset on ski lift (TikTok)
« Last post by countryman on January 14, 2022, 11:10:49 AM »
The lift operator needs something that can be grabbed with mittens on and works reliably under harsh conditions. Makes sense to use this style.
Presumably there is a similar set at the other end of the lift.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »