Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Auction Talk / Re: Western Electric 307 - think I paid too much!
« Last post by oldguy on January 12, 2022, 12:47:47 AM »
Ok, I canít spell🙁 or Iím a prophet😳😀
Auction Talk / Re: Western Electric 307 - think I paid too much!
« Last post by kleenax on January 11, 2022, 10:55:26 PM »
It looks like the bid is up to $56 & you still have 5 days to go. Looks like youíll make a good prophet Ray!
I may indeed make a good PROPHET, but in this case, I will settle for a "profit" ;-)
General Discussion / Re: The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation
« Last post by markosjal on January 11, 2022, 01:36:01 PM »
Anyone noticed the phone in the Vicks commercial?

AT first I thought this was just a prop made from a WE 500 but then upon closer inspection the hookswitch plungers appear to be chrome and the hookswich hangers (where the handset rests)  are not squared more like semi hexagonal. No "handle" to carry it like a 500.
Dag....Citristrip  is excellent. Even with gloves, I get it on me and it is fairly gentle. No losing layers of skin like in the old days. ....Doug
I would do exactly the same as countryman suggests /\
Patch test on a small inside area first if considering paint stripper.

Old varnish will often peel away with a soap/water soak.

I have used paint stripper on Bakelite ( plenty of my threads on here, eg: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20677 )
to good effect, and the Bakelite shines up beautifully.

Let us know how you get on.
 :)
Usually these objects are made of mottled brown Bakelite. It is resistant against solvents, lye and even paint stripper.
Still caution is advisable. I once had a surprise with a handset. The body was Bakelite and safe, while the mouthpiece started to disintegrate from paint stripper  :o
I'd suggest to start with a warm or hot lye from wash soda (sodium carbonate). It should be easily available and is fairly safe to use (protect eyes and skin, and wear a mask when handling the dry powder). Often simpler types of varnish can be rubbed or peeled off. If that does not work try paint stripper.
As always, try in a hidden area first. The innards must be completely removed for the process.
It is a kind of bakelite.
What is the best way to remove thatÖ

Is the varnish on top of wood, metal, plastic or Bakelite?
Just got bought this, hopefully it is here within a week. Looks like it has been tried to paint/vanish. What is the best way to remove that?  (did not buy the FF33 field telephone, I have far to many of those)

These phones was either called 
tischfernsprecher-38 and had a battery box included. (not on this)
https://televideo.ws/index.php/tischfernsprecher-38
or Festungs Tischfernsprecher 39 that had another ringer with higher resistance.
https://der-fernmelder.de/geraete-der-nachrichtentechnik/festungs-tischfernsprecher-39-ftf39/
Telephone Component Identification / Re: Fidelipac Cartridge (Carts)
« Last post by MMikeJBenN27 on January 10, 2022, 05:28:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

Mike
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »