News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern N50AL Candlestick

Started by wds, June 02, 2015, 03:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

This was my last purchase for the month of May.  N50AL with marked N.E. receiver and the Northern dial.  I always liked the looks of the Northern version candlestick, but they don't seem to come up very often.  I'm happy to have gotten this one.
Dave

Ktownphoneco

They are a nice looking desk stand, especially with the proper receiver and the N14 dial, which is the appropriate dial for that set.    The dial is worth a fair amount of money all by itself, which doesn't hurt either.     It's appears to be in great shape.     A very nice find !

Jeff Lamb

NorthernElectric

Cliff

wds

Yes it is.  Wasn't cheap, but I thought the dial by itself was worth that much.  I got my Kellogg C/S with the kellogg dial from the same seller.  I want to properly wire the dial, so I'm looking for the correct way to do so.  Ordinarily the model W.E. 50 would not have a terminal strip, but I wonder if there shouldn't be one on the Northern version for the dial to wire to, or should the wires go all the way up to the stem switch?
Dave

Ktownphoneco

Actually, the N1050-AL does have a terminal strip.     It's shaped like a quarter moon, and is attached to the bracket which is held in place by the collar that threads up into the stem.  It's the same bracket that provides the mounting points for 2 or the 3 machine screws that hold the base in place.    The terminal strip follows the curvature of the base, and it's located at the back of the base, more or less centered with the cord hole.
I'm away at the moment, but if you can't locate one, I have a number of replicas that I make from a sheet of Lexan.     I paint them black with Krylon plastic paint.     I machine brass terminals which look like the originals, and with No. 6 brass pan head (slot) machine screws.
I drill the 2 mounting holes in the proper location, and it's then ready to install.     There are base plate schematics available on the TCI Library site, which will show the quarter moon terminal strip.     The ones I make don't have the terminal letters on them, but other than that, they're a close match to the factory originals, and it'll let you go ahead and get it wired up while you try and find a factory original.   
If you'd like one, let me know and once I get back home next week, I'll get it in the mail.     $5.00 plus postage should cover my cost of making it.

Jeff Lamb   

Ktownphoneco

By the way, the dials usually sell for around $250.00 on eBay, and not necessarily in good working order.

Jeff Lamb

wds

Yes, that home made terminal strip would be great.  I'll touch base with you next week.
Dave

wds

Jeff sent me the terminal strip, and it's amazing.  He put a lot of work into this terminal plate.  The threaded studs are all machined, threaded on the inside and outside, and threaded into the plate.  I left a couple screws out for the picture.   If I had made this terminal strip it wouldn't have been anywhere near as nice.  It looks identical to the original.  He also printed me out a wiring diagram for the bottom plate.  It's wired to the diagram, and ready to call Canada - or even the USA.   (as soon as I find a Northern subset)  thanks Jeff !
Dave

Jack Ryan

DavePEI

Quote from: wds on June 15, 2015, 09:05:21 PM
It's wired to the diagram, and ready to call Canada - or even the USA.   (as soon as I find a Northern subset)  thanks Jeff !
Ya! You can only call Canada once you have a Northern Subset :-)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 15, 2015, 10:22:22 PM
Nice work Jeff!

Jack

I second that! Outstanding work Jeff....Doug
Kidphone