News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson oilcan Is it worth it?

Started by Pourme, February 24, 2016, 09:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Because you asked, I went back & looked at the television. It is a 1960 Predicta, the asking price is $325.00. I don't know if it works. It appears to be intact. Lots of tubes!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Fabius

As with most vintage TVs the value greatly depends on the CRT (cathode ray tube, aka picture tube). Some CRTs are nearly impossible to find working. It's a good price if working. Keep in mind most antique malls/shops will give at least 10% discount off the tag price. You can even ask them to call the item owner and make an offer to the owner.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AE_Collector

This particular antique store gave 35% off on the Stromberg Carlson Oilcan candlestick that used to be sitting in front of the 17" 1960 "Jetson" TV!

Terry

Fabius

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 25, 2016, 05:07:17 PM
This particular antique store gave 35% off on the Stromberg Carlson Oilcan candlestick that used to be sitting in front of the 17" 1960 "Jetson" TV!

Terry

So you got it? Being the mathematical wizard that I am it went for about $130?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Pourme

I did get it!...My first candlestick. I really didn't think he would accept my offer. I was expecting a counter offer. I paid $125.00. I intend to restore it.
I'm sure I could get the TV for less. I looked inside the TV...it was very dusty.
Benny

AE_Collector

Dont feel down about your math skills Tom. I happened to notice on the tag that they were really asking $195 not $200 and I rounded a little bit in my 35% reduction estimate.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Maybe we could get a picture or two for posterity so that when the link expires, we have something to refer to.  :)
-Bill G

Pourme

I will take some fresh pictures and post shortly...Thanks for your interest!
Benny

Pourme

Here are new pics. Should the base be felt? Why do the holes on the base have no screws in them, that can't be good? There is no inscription on the back side of the transmitter or base, normal? The receiver has been busted and glued, that is a relative easy fix, not my biggest concern. One of the things I like the most about this piece is the embossing on the front of the transmitter. Wondering why anyone would remove the nickle plating from a phone? It's too evenly gone to be simply wear, if it was indeed nickle plated when new.  I will post pics as I do some dis assembly.  Thank everyone for the information and input so far. I read  look, learn from your links.
Benny

Pourme

Here is what I found inside. I wonder if this is the correct bottom plate. The holes don't match the fastener points in the base. The diagram doesn't look like the phone. Both sending and receiver units are non original, of course. You can see where they attached the dialer. Any thought you have would be appreciated.
Benny

Pourme

This appears to be my exact same phone...in perfect condition...on Ebay Overpriced at $2199.00? I don't see Ebayers falling all over themselves buying it! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201483282088?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Benny

dencins

The correct bottom plate for an Oilcan was made from wood and covered with felt.  It is held on by three screws that attach to three of the threaded post in the base.  Two of the other posts hold a terminal block used to connect the wires and the third is for a bracket strap that holds the coil in the base.

The Oilcan has six wires that go from the terminal block up the stem with four going to the switch and two going to the transmitter.

I have attached a sketch of one way to connect the wires in the base.  The Oilcan was wired several different ways as described in Old-Time Telephones.

Dennis Hallworth     

dencins

Here is an Oilcan with the wrong receiver that recently sold on ebay for $600 plus $17.70 shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/gn9esbg

It does have an earlier transmitter and ball type transmitter mount.
I copied pictures of the base cover and wiring inside the base from this listing.

Dennis Hallworth

dencins

Here is a link to a web page that shows the changes in the Oilcan from 1898 - 1905.

http://phonemandave.net/stromberg.htm

Dennis Hallworth

Pourme

Thanks for the pics & info, Dennis. This one being a later version has a good many differences. The base is attached using a ring that you have to pry out of the grove. I had assumes it also held the felt. (see pic) Could it be the rubber feet are proper to this phone?
Today I did a exploratory partial dis assemble & clean up. I removed the dialer to inspect the holes that were drilled  >:(.
I have several thoughts as a result. I can save the original hand held receiver by sanding and repainting (flat, semigloss or high gloss?) I would like to restore the original dual coil type receiver inside. Would that not be the thing to do?

The phone as is does work. I got a dial tone, transmitter works, it appeared to dial properly but my VOIP line wouldn't co operate.

I found indisputable evidence of the original nickle plating. Sorry i showed doubt earlier.

I would like to have the holes filled (see pics) and the entire piece nickle plated.   

WEBellSystemChristian mentioned that Dennis Hallworth does excellent work. We should have a talk about this, Dennis.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: I forgot to mention that someone has sprayed a light coat of clear coat on most pieces, Do I need to remove that before sending it to be plated? I could do that.

Benny