and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20-B...good deal?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, February 27, 2017, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

In my recent eBay buying spree, I bought another phone! :o

www.ebay.com/itm/222420848473

This one looks like a pretty nice one, with an earlier perch and nickel transmitter. It doesn't look like it's early enough to be OST era, as the transmitter cup doesn't have a hole in the side.

This one was lamped, but it appears to have the damage-free mounting method.

Even if this wasn't a great buy, it won't take much to restore it; it looks like it just needs a receiver, cord, spitcup, and a nice polish! 8)

I paid $59 plus shipping.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

paul-f

It has potential.

Since there are no bottom or internal photos, hopefully you'll be lucky and get the proper parts that aren't visible.

I enjoyed the auction listing disclaimer...

USER ASSUMES ALL RISK, SELLER IS NOT LIABLE FOR INJURY OR EMBARASSMENT FROM MISUSE, BUYER SHOULD READ ALL CAUTION INFORMATION PRIOR TO USE.   ::)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

I understand why this seller would have such a general disclaimer...after all, they have feedback that goes into 5 digits!

But...why embarrassment? Does the seller know that I'm a phone collector, and will be laughed out of every phone collecting group over something on this phone that they know about and I don't?!? :o :o :o

But...at least I'm calm and controlled over this... ;) ;D

Just kidding...it looks pretty nice to me, at least from the pretty bad auction photos. This probably would have had a 143 or 144 receiver, right?
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: paul-f on February 27, 2017, 09:44:00 AM
It has potential.

Since there are no bottom or internal photos, hopefully you'll be lucky and get the proper parts that aren't visible.

I enjoyed the auction listing disclaimer...

USER ASSUMES ALL RISK, SELLER IS NOT LIABLE FOR INJURY OR EMBARASSMENT FROM MISUSE, BUYER SHOULD READ ALL CAUTION INFORMATION PRIOR TO USE.   ::)

I am quite sure that the disclaimer has to do with the use of the land phone by the buyer as a lamp. There are a lot of safety issues in building such a lamp including wiring of ground and hot leads correctly, so I am sure the seller is trying to  make it known that the person who uses the stick in whichever way they want makes them liable or responsible for any injury or damage.

wds

I was watching that one - there doesn't appear to be any damage to the sold perch or the transmitter cup.  Can't tell what model it is - 20B maybe?
Dave

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on February 27, 2017, 10:55:54 AM
I am quite sure that the disclaimer has to do with the use of the land phone by the buyer as a lamp. There are a lot of safety issues in building such a lamp including wiring of ground and hot leads correctly, so I am sure the seller is trying to  make it known that the person who uses the stick in whichever way they want makes them liable or responsible for any injury or damage.

That may be so. I'm not a lawyer, but have some understanding of demonstrating damages due to injury.

What legal evidence is required to prove damages due to embarrassment?

This is worth pursuing, as I'm sure many of us are embarrassed from time to time. Maybe there's money in it!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

oldguy

If making a fool of myself had legal ramifications, Attorneys would be beating a path to my door to take my money for defending me  ;) 
Gary

Sargeguy

I would use a 143AW receiver but a 122 or 144 would also be correct.  Value depends upon whether or not the markings on the perch are intact.  The most valuable would be "20-S" followed by "20-B/20-S.  If it says 20-AL it is not as collectible because it has been modified at some point.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Ktownphoneco

I'm not all that familiar with Western's transition from the solid perch, solid lug and screw mounted transmitter cup, to the later version of the stamped and / or pressed perch and one piece stamped transmitter cup and lug combination.    But when I looked at the pictures Christian posted, and saw the solid perch, I made the assumption, right or wrong, that the set should have the earlier 2 piece solid transmitter lug and cup.

Can someone clarify that for me.

Jeff Lamb

WEBellSystemChristian

Weren't 20B's exclusively all nickel? I think this would be more along the lines of a 20S (one of the exclusive black models?)

I will be using a 143-type receiver (not sure of the specific model, but it's an internal-terminal type). I have a spare OST receiver, but I'm saving it for one of two 20B's that should be getting fresh nickel fairly soon. I may use it for this stick, if it turns out to be earlier than either of my 20B's.

Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Hold on to your hats everyone...it may be here today! :D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

It came! :)

The perch is stamped 20-B, and the transmitter is a 229W. There were no patent dates on the perch, but I didn't check the base for patent dates. The base mousehole was designed for a grommet, so it's earlier than I thought.
Doesn't the 'W' designation mean the transmitter was designed for a wall phone? The cup is insulated, and doesn't have any markings.

It looks like it was repainted at some point; the finish is uncharacteristically glossy and has some orange peel, plus there are specks of bubbling/flaking paint from oil or foreign objects under the paint. However, I don't see any evidence of nickel plating on the inside of any of the black parts, so it looks like it was black from the factory.

Overall, not a bad deal! To me, it seems like the transmitter was added later, as it doesn't seem to match the rest of the phone. If it doesn't match, would it be a good idea to use a black transmitter and cup? I have a *329* transmitter face, but no cup.

I'll get pictures up later.
Christian Petterson

Jim Stettler

I think W is w/o Bell markings , Meaning, it was made by Western Electric for sale to non-Bell companies. I think you got a good deal.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Here she is all cleaned up!

I still don't know of the paint is original or not...it was so clean that it actually disturbed me. Other than a couple scrapes and slight oxidation, it looks like brand new paint. I would swear that it was done by someone outside of a telephone company, but many factors indicate that it wasn't done with spray paint (passed the Denatured Alcohol test), it wasn't done by an amateur (everything was disassembled before it was painted, yet there is zero overspray on the inside), and it was done a long time ago (lots of ground-in dirt in the lettering, and the threaded cap inside the base is rusted shut and covered in dust). All I had to do was polish it; the oxidation came out, and the ground-in dirt did too! ;)

Factory or not, the paint looks great, so I'm keeping it! The nickel plating on the transmitter looks great, almost mirror-like. The base plate was missing, so I grabbed one off a parts candlestick in great shape. I just need a spitcup and a green receiver cord and it'll look great!

Sorry for the bad lighting. It's pretty late, and I'm using one lamp for the pictures!
Christian Petterson

oldguy

Gary