News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Real or Repro?

Started by FABphones, June 05, 2020, 01:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Seller says real, I think prob not, waiting for more photos, meantime checking with you knowledgeable guys....

Real or Repro? Thanks.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

countryman

Originally nickeled parts may be "brassed out" but do not have this golden appearance then.
Original phones never used brass (without nickel plating) because it would tarnish in short order and look ugly. Modern production methods allowed gold-like surfaces without actually using gold.

HarrySmith

Agreed. That dial is junk. The base looks suspect also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RB

is that strain relief on the rec cord?
Did ANYBODY use that???

FABphones

Thanks all for the replies. Good examples of what to avoid.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

I bought one years ago, boy that was thirty years ago.
It's not an antique, but it did work pretty well when mine was new. Another cool novelty phone.
KEN

Babybearjs

you've got to be careful, alot of these were coming out of India awhile back.... it could be newer then what the seller is saying.... stuff from Japan.... 1970's-80's....
John

Jim Stettler

70's. I have seen handled them at phone shows.
Base gasket, handset strain relief, cheap dial are the immediate tells. Second look you can see the metal is newer before you even pick them up.
These are pretty nice quality wise. I think they are nicer than the recent import stuff.
If a friend wants a candlestick type phone, then this is better than a plastic design-line candlestick.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I bought mine, that looked just like that one, back in 1995, and it said made in Japan right on the label on the base.. It had a Chang Chung ringer in side.
KEN