News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 20B

Started by shadow67, June 13, 2020, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

I have been looking for a nickel WE candlestick for quite a while, but they are always way more expensive than I can pay. Found a nickel 20B with a black 337 transmitter so I bid. And won for once! Still more than I usually pay for a phone, but $110 is a lot better than $300 or more, which I usually see these for. After being lost in the system for over a week, it finally arrived today. It's not perfect by any means but it is mine. It is an uninsulated phone with an insulated transmitter. At first I thought it couldn't work that way, but after taking it apart it has the bare wire strap to use it on a 20B (thanks to Jeff Lamb for the diagram). I happened to have a spare nickel 329W so I put the strap on it and swapped them out to make it all nickel. It had a cracked receiver shell that looked incorrect, but by chance I had a spare of the same type so I swapped it also. It needs new cords, a correct receiver, and maybe a plating job, but I am happy with it.

Nice find, you did good.

Yes, Jeff is the man when it comes to diagrams.

Congrats.

Jim Stettler

Sounds like a find of the month contender to me.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Nice find, and thanks for adding the swap out detail etc to the thread, always interesting to know the work done.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

shadow67

Thanks for the compliments. The people on this forum have vastly increased my knowledge and understanding about these amazing devices.

shadow67

I found an OST receiver and put some new cords on it. I am still trying to find a nickel *229* transmitter with the wire coming out of the cup...