"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British Phoenix Candlestick

Started by FABphones, October 10, 2020, 11:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 23, 2020, 11:54:14 AM
I took myself off to a library and going through some antique valuation type books came across this photo. Book dated from about 2000.

Not exactly the same version as the stick in this thread, and paint does not look nearly so good on the example below, but thought some of you guys might like to see it anyhow.

:)

I think there is a possibility that your phone was a special order. I think there is no chance that the one in the book is.

The transmitter in that one if from closer to 1940 than 1920 (as titled) and the GPO was in no mood to paint telephones then.

Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 23, 2020, 10:21:14 PM
...I think there is no chance that the one in the book is.

The transmitter in that one if from closer to 1940 than 1920 (as titled) and the GPO was in no mood to paint telephones then.

Jack

I was surprised the phone in the book was even selected for entry. Much better original examples out there, but I added the photo to this thread anyway just for reference.

A couple of my other No150 sticks (as received), again, just for comparison against the white painted book illustration.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 24, 2020, 05:07:56 AM
I was surprised the phone in the book was even selected for entry.

The fact that it was undermines confidence in the book and its author(s).

A couple of my other No150 sticks (as received), again, just for comparison against the white painted book illustration.

Provocateur! I see that handset cap.

;-)

Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 24, 2020, 08:59:28 AM
The fact that it was undermines confidence in the book and its author(s)...

Exactly my thoughts when I saw it.

Quote from: Jack Ryan on October 24, 2020, 08:59:28 AM
Provocateur!...

Heehee. Only if '@g€nt' written in front of it.  ;D  :o  8)

—-

For any readers that may have missed it, the above two No150 sticks are the ones from this thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24311

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

I know nothing about candlesticks or the book talked about.
But the valuation given (80-100 GBP, ~ 105-130 USD) does not sound too unrealistic (as a dealer's sales price) even though the object is not 100% correct and has been painted. That's a frequently found condition and not a bad choice  for a book about the valuation of antiques.
Too often people hear that a 1920ies type of phone brought xxx(x) GBP/USD/EUR  and think any item of that age would be a treasure of it's own.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on October 24, 2020, 11:04:49 AM
I know nothing about candlesticks or the book talked about.
But the valuation given (80-100 GBP, ~ 105-130 USD) does not sound too unrealistic (as a dealer's sales price) even though the object is not 100% correct and has been painted. That's a frequently found condition and not a bad choice  for a book about the valuation of antiques.
Too often people hear that a 1920ies type of phone brought xxx(x) GBP/USD/EUR  and think any item of that age would be a treasure of it's own.

But the author says nothing about the phone and therefore suggest that painting is normal and white is normal.

In fact, the phone was painted recently (and not well) and has a late model replacement transmitter and dial. If the book were really talking about values it might have stated that "even a phone that has been poorly repainted by a dealer and has late model replacement parts can be worth 80 pounds"

As no mention was made, I assume the author was not aware of these things.

But, of course, that is just my opinion.

Jack