News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Candlestick?

Started by FABphones, October 27, 2020, 04:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Could I have your thoughts on this candlestick please knowledgeable folks. Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 27, 2020, 04:46:37 AM
Could I have your thoughts on this candlestick please knowledgeable folks. Thanks.

Can I make a comment anyway?

What is marked on the rear of the perch?

It looks like a genuine WE candlestick with a transmitter designed for intercom use. It might be an intercom or it might be a standard candlestick (20AL or 40AL) with the wrong transmitter and a British receiver.

It has been painted and the bottom covering is missing.

Jack

Doug Rose

From what I see, with the limited pics;  it looks like a WE 20AL with the wrong transmitter....just a guess.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Have been waiting for reply from seller re perch and better photos (I lightened these as were even darker).
No more photos received, but reply now in re perch, seller thinks maybe 20BK.

I can't easily find the correct receiver, and if transmitter wrong too then this one not suitable for me, but all part of the learning curve.

Thanks all.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on October 27, 2020, 11:03:18 AM
Have been waiting for reply from seller re perch and better photos (I lightened these as were even darker).
No more photos received, but reply now in re perch, seller thinks maybe 20BK.

I can't easily find the correct receiver, and if transmitter wrong too then this one not suitable for me, but all part of the learning curve.

Thanks all.

The transmitter may go with the candlestick but the receiver doesn't.

20BK is not an ID I recognise and I can't find the transmitter in any WE or NE catalogues. It is clearly not a "standard" telephone.

I'd stick with 20-AL or 40-AL if you want a standard WE candlestick. It you are looking for something a but flasher, there is the 20-PC or 20-B etc.

Then there are all the other manufacturers.

Jack

FABphones

I had spotted the receiver, but couldn't be sure about the rest of it being correct.

The only thread I could find that mentioned 20BK was this one from 2011:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5958

For comparison and info for future readers of this thread:
Screenshot of seller description from old listing, and image from above thread.

That receiver looks remarkably familiar. Coincidence, or at some point someone made a few of these up.

Jack Ryan

Left handed candlesticks are generally made from microphones with a PTT switch.

I think the most appropriate word is "next".

On the old links, the ATCA put up a new (quite slow) WEB site and in the process, removed the old picture place. I never liked the picture place because of the limited resolution but there are hundreds of links both here and on the ATCA list server that are now broken making the associated threads useless. I think that was a mistake.

Jack