"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

North Pay Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 24, 2021, 04:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

craigslist link

Someone in Chicago has been trying forever to sell this phone for an obscene price.  I have no interest in buying it, but it reminds me that about 42 years ago, someone donated a truckload of these phones to the electronics shop of my high school, which is just a bit north of the city of Chicago.  As far as I recall, they were NIB.  I remember the teacher in charge of the shop telling me that someone had donated these things and that he had no idea what to do with them other than to pile them in the storage room.  I think that he had planned to eventually give them away to students, but I didn't get one.  I don't remember if I ever saw one of these in service in the wild.  The one on craigslist was apparently also sent to a high school.  Is there some story behind them?

Larry

Babybearjs

whats the average price these are going for? $850.00 seems OK....
John

MMikeJBenN27

TelePlay

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on March 24, 2021, 10:17:05 PM
whats the average price these are going for? $850.00 seems OK....
up to $100.00 to me, with  pick-up.
But that is just me.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

I recently read in the payphone section here they weren't all that special and a lot were just scraped and for gotten. But that is just one opinion.
I think personally it's not worth anything over a hundred. But again that's just my opinion opinion.
Take a look in the archives here, read about them, make your decision based on that.
KEN

Doug Rose

Quote from: Key2871 on March 25, 2021, 05:23:20 AM
I recently read in the payphone section here they weren't all that special and a lot were just scraped and for gotten. But that is just one opinion.
I think personally it's not worth anything over a hundred. But again that's just my opinion opinion.
Take a look in the archives here, read about them, make your decision based on that.
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I collect North Phones and would love to own one NIB....Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 25, 2021, 10:17:47 AM
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I collect North Phones and would love to own one NIB....Doug

Yes indeed it is. Some persev things as wonderfull others do not.
It's called ones own taste.
You spoke of collecting North phones.but the question was what is a North payphone worth?
Do you collect North payphone? Or just north phones.

Either is fine as you pointed out beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Not everyone beholds the payphone, where others really do.
It is as you said up to them. I was just giving an opinion as has often been the way things are around here.
And I was pointing out that I read under the header of payphone that someone said they weren't any thing special. And I just said in so many words I agreed.

So to each is own, as it has been so shall it be. One collects what one likes, where others have grown out of collecting others have not. To each his own.
KEN

LarryInMichigan

Perhaps someone can convince the guy in Chicago with the payphone to let it go for a reasonable amount.  I this that it has been appearing periodically for several years.

Larry

MADhouseTelephone

Actually, this is a TeleTek payphone marketed by North Electric, CEECO, and possibly others. It was made by Zero Manufacturing in Utah, a company that specializes in deep drawn aluminum stampings, explaining its aluminum case. The network, dial, ringer, and handset are all Kellogg.  I recently got one myself, for $25.
The manual is available in the TCI Archives, and it is actually a very interesting unit for those who like to tinker and get things working. I have had exactly one person tell me he had seen one in the wild!
I am looking for more information on these, as well as an idea how many are in collections.
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

Payphone installer

Jim Stettler

Quote from: MADhouseTelephone on July 11, 2021, 04:03:37 PM
Actually, this is a TeleTek payphone marketed by North Electric, CEECO, and possibly others. It was made by Zero Manufacturing in Utah, a company that specializes in deep drawn aluminum stampings, explaining its aluminum case. The network, dial, ringer, and handset are all Kellogg.  I recently got one myself, for $25.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.