News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 6S dial

Started by Jf510, October 11, 2021, 07:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jf510

I have a few Western Electric 302's but with no dial and I wanted them to work so I wired up a WE 6 dial to one of them and it worked fine. I also have a few of these 6S dials but I could not get them to work. The BL terminal is throwing me since the other 6 dials does not have that terminal. Is there a way to wire one of these dials to work on a 302?  Thank you.

paul-f

Quote from: Jf510 on October 11, 2021, 07:21:07 PM
...I also have a few of these 6S dials but I could not get them to work. The BL terminal is throwing me since the other 6 dials does not have that terminal.

You can see the difference in the 6S dial contacts in Fig. 5 of this BSP.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=501-162-100+i7

If you don't want to experiment with wiring alternatives, some may be interested in swapping for a 6A dial.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

The pulsing contact springs  on a 6S are G and BL. So you put the brown-yellow hookswitch wire on G (instead of Y on a 5H or 6A dial) and the two black wires (black handset cord wire and black condenser wire) on BL (instead of BK on a 5H/6A).

The other contact springs are different from a 5H or 6A dial. BB and W open on the 5H/6A, but make on the 6S. You could try putting both the brown-blue hookswitch wire and the White receiver wire on W, and install a new wire from BB on 6S dial to R on the induction coil (where the red handset wire is).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Thanks for that info. I will give that a try.

poplar1

The final step would be to strap BL and BK on the dial, and connect the slate-red wire from L1 on induction coil to R on the 6S. Don't know if this is really necessary.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jf510

Poplar1...I got it to work but I had to do all of what you said moving those two leads on the dial and I had to do both straps as you suggested. Thanks again for your help. I would of never figured that out.