News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE candlestick receiver cords

Started by wds, April 29, 2012, 12:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up a couple receivers, I think AE, and was happy about the price as it included a nice looking cord.  Original cords seem to be hard to come by lately.  After I got the receivers, I noticed they were only 15 inches between the two knots.  The short cords are great for displaying as you don't have cords dangling all over the place.  However, they are too short for practical use on the candlestick.  Does anyone know what a receiver with this short of a cord would have been used for?
Dave

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

With the "phone tips" on the ends, they look like the headphone cords used on very old radios or crystal radios. They are awfully short for headphone cords, but it is possible that someone took a single cord, cut it in half, and used the two halves on the two receivers.

What other cords used phone tips?

Bill

HowardPgh

Howard

Phonesrfun

All the early telephone receiver cords used the tips.
-Bill G

wds

These two cords are original, with pins and the tie down cord on both ends - they appear original and not modified in any way.
Dave

Phonesrfun

Surely if they have the lace-type cord stays on both ends, they were not cut from longer original cords. 

In thinking about this, it seems to me that on a candlestick and on wall phones that have the solid back transmitter, you could not really use a longer cord any way. 

Those older transmitters did not have the ability to pick up speech any further away than a couple of inches from directly in front of them.  In fact you have to speak right into the funnel shaped mouthpiece to be heard on any of the ones I have.  Maybe the cords were short on purpose.

-Bill G

wds

another picture of the cord.  If the cord were to come out of the box somewhere close to the mouthpiece, it would be long enough.   Like on a wood phone where the cord comes out beside the receiver hook arm.
Dave

Sargeguy

If the cord attached to an OST receiver on one end and exterior binding posts on the other would not need to be as long.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Bill on April 30, 2012, 10:04:57 AM
With the "phone tips" on the ends, they look like the headphone cords used on very old radios or crystal radios. They are awfully short for headphone cords, but it is possible that someone took a single cord, cut it in half, and used the two halves on the two receivers.

What other cords used phone tips?

Bill

AE Strowger 11 digit phones used short cords with phone tips such as these. I will bet they were off 11 digit phones. The tips entered the bottom left of the phone, and fastened onto a terminal strip designed for them on the left hand side. Due to the mounting height of the phone, longer cords were not necessary.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Quote from: DavePEI on April 30, 2012, 11:25:25 PM

AE Strowger 11 digit phones used short cords with phone tips such as these. I will bet they were off 11 digit phones. The tips entered the bottom left of the phone, and fastened onto a terminal strip designed for them on the left hand side. Due to the mounting height of the phone, longer cords were not necessary.

Dave

Hey, you are exactly right.  My Strowger has that, and they are AE receivers.
-Bill G