News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hole in switch hook

Started by ldj1002, July 28, 2012, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldj1002

All the candlestick phones I have saw have holes in the very end of the switch hook, right where the receiver hangs. What is that far, looks?, then why on all makes?

Phonesrfun

I am sure it's for looks.  Perhaps to save on material in the manufacturing process.  I cannot think of another reason.  By the way, not all have the holes.  Many were solid.  Depends on the manufacturer.

-Bill G

Bill

I don't know why, but I always thought it was to allow the owner to put a lock of some kind through the holes, to prevent others from removing the receiver. Yes, the hookswitch could still be lifted, with the receiver attached, but it would be an awkward way to conduct a conversation.

Bill

HowardPgh

I use the holes to keep the receiver from falling off!
I noticed that W.E. wall phones have no holes in the hookswitch.
Howard
Howard

DavePEI

Quote from: HowardPgh on July 30, 2012, 11:35:19 AM
I use the holes to keep the receiver from falling off!
I noticed that W.E. wall phones have no holes in the hookswitch.
Howard
I do basically the same thing in the museum where kids have and do try everything :-)
I run a thick wire tie through it, and it prevents the receiver from being taken off the hook, hopefully lessening the chance that they will break it!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Not all of them have holes.  My GPO No 150 doe not have holes in the hook: thread link.

Larry

HowardPgh

The end of the switch hook is rounded to protect the diaphragm in the receiver.
The original switch hook had simple curved ends that could dent the diaphragm if the receiver was improperly hung up.  Collectors call this type the s"steerhorn hook"
Howard
Howard

Russ Kirk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 30, 2012, 12:09:51 PM
Not all of them have holes.  My GPO No 150 doe not have holes in the hook: thread link.

Larry

Very interesting discussion. It prompted me to take a closer look at my switch hooks.  I have a GPO #150 155 without a hole and GPO #4 with a hole.   Most of the candlesticks and wood wall phone I get have the cord frayed at about the same spot ,  a few inches from the receiver.  Perhaps they stored the cord the same way I do with all my phones so the receiver does not fall off.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Sargeguy

My guess is that it has to do with securing the receiver.  Wall phones do not move, so they would not need to do it, while desk stands are likely to get knocked over and have the receiver crack.  On a wall phone the receiver would dangle.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 31, 2013, 12:28:41 PM
My guess is that it has to do with securing the receiver.  Wall phones do not move, so they would not need to do it, while desk stands are likely to get knocked over and have the receiver crack.  On a wall phone the receiver would dangle.
In the museum, I use the holes in the hooks to secure the receiver, too. I run a plastic wire tie through them and around the receiver.. Keeps the kids from destroying them...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HowardPgh

Russ- I think the wear spot comes from the cord getting cought between the hook and receiver  when it is hung up.  _Howard
Howard