News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

where can I get a "real" rotary candlestick phone & box?

Started by Cindy67, January 20, 2013, 08:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy67

What would the cost be to update phone, keep it looking as is and get a ringer box, an be repro?  I know I can send it to the Old phone guy!  Item 261160332026

I was told this one is good!

These other ebay iems, same question if they are not repros!
Item 130841912748 & 310579420920?

Un.less the old phone guy has something ??!

Thank you

Greg G.

Quote from: Cindy67 on January 29, 2013, 09:16:28 PM

What would it cost to update item

Here's the guy to contact regarding the dial.  I can guarantee it's not a budget-buster, but talk to Steve about it.  He may be able to help find a face plate for the dial.

http://www.navysalvage.com/

The only other thing I can see that you may have to replace is perhaps the cords, but they really don't look too bad, judging from the pictures.  The receiver cord is just pulled out too far.  The paint is still there, I would just clean it up, the mouth piece doesn't appear to be  chipped, the receiver appears to be ok.  Contact the seller and ask if there are any cracks or chips in the mouth piece or the receiver.

Just judging from the pictures, the most I would do if it were mine, is send the dial off to be overhauled, maybe replace the cords, and just clean the rest up.  You can get reproduction cords from Old Phone Works
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

sebbel

I assume you are talking about this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261160332026
     ( dead link - no image attached when posted )

The phone itself requires no modification.  Maybe just a new dial plate and cables but that's for looks.

For it to work it just need a subset. The cost will be what ever you can get a working subset for. Many forum member have spare one that they can sell you for a reasonable amount of money. Or you can try ebay but you might get a non working one.

If you can't find one I have about 6 including a few I might part with for about 50-70$ plus shipping depending on which one. I think you'll pay about the same one ebay.

I'm just wondering at this point. Why don't you just ask someone here to sell you a working one? I for one regularly sell of extra phones on ebay for about 300$. At least you'll know you're getting a real working phone.
Seb.

Cindy67

Quote from: sebbel on January 29, 2013, 11:26:14 PM
If you can't find one I have about 6 including a few I might part with for about 50-70$ plus shipping depending on which one. I think you'll pay about the same one ebay.

Great idea.  I think with me searching on ebay asking a member is a great idea. Saves me from going crazy and you all!  Thank you

Doug Rose

Cindy this is real and in really nice shape. A WE 40AL was made from steel, see how the stem and base look kind of gray. Its a Bower-Barf finish that is not the easiest to find.  Really nice old Marked ATT receiver with a real ringer box. Nice retainer ring holder with an old dial card....This would be the phone for you, take it out of the box and plug it in....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/a7yzk2h
     ( dead link - no eBay listing screen shot attach when posted )

Kidphone

HarrySmith

Hi Cindy! I have to agree with Doug. This is a very nice example of an early complete candlestick that appers to be all orignal except the modular cord. Appears to have been carefully cleaned by a knowledgeable phone person. This is what you have been looking for!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Bill

It has no dial. In post #38, Cindy said she wants one. But let's keep looking - I know we can help.

Bill

Sargeguy

I think this is an awesome phone for a collector, but I'm not sure it is appropriate for Cyndi.  Once again this is a phone that has rare parts which will drive the price up, the rare dial card holder, the highly sought after ABT marked receiver, and the fact that it is a 40-AL add to the price.  I might bid on it, but I think Cyndi wants a standard issue 51-AL or 151-AL in working condition (or AE or Kellogg equivalents) with a working subset.  SHe does not need to get in a bidding war or get sniped by me err some collector who really wants the phone.  Is she is willing to forego having the dial (which is probably a good idea these days) then her options open up and she can get a nice manual set a lot cheaper than this one is going to fetch, and nickel plated becomes an option.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 02, 2013, 09:28:06 PM
I think this is an awesome phone for a collector, but I'm not sure it is appropriate for Cyndi. 

Thanks Sargeguy....next time I will run it by you first to make sure you approve. Rookie mistake.....my bad.....Kidphone
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I just think that, with the budget she quoted, she is better off allocating her resources towards condition and quality rather than rarity.  I suspect that she wants a cool old antique she can use and show off to her friends.  I also suspect those friends are not telephone collectors who would appreciate the difference between a 2AE dial and a 5H, or a 40-AL and a 20-AL.  I think a 151-AL with 706A receiver and 684 subset is just the ticket for her.  She can decide whether to go with a Bulldog style or solid back transmitter, depending on whether she wants to sacrifice appearance for performance.  A 5H dial will be more likely to work than a 2AE at a fraction of the cost.  If she wants a manual desk stand, she can get a nice example for less than what this 40-AL will most likely go for.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

What a shame, it went for $137.50. In very good condition and no work needed. Just take it out of the box and plug it in. Very reasonable and 100% REAL....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I know, I was tempted, and would have bid a lot more than that,  but I already have one.  What would you have priced thisvat if you were selling it?  It sure is a buyer's market, hopefully Cyndi can find a similar bargain in a dial candlestick.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ncali

Cindy I am by far no expert on these phones But the receiver
from Japan and the base tag from china would keep me from buying
that phone.
   I am not sure that they used coiled cords to the receiver. Also as some one mentioned, and I just learned myself, these type of phones
the real ones, need  what is called a subset to work properly. a subset
is another box that contains the ringer assy, and other electronic components. A subset would be another box that is connected  on the line between the wall and the phone

HarrySmith

Did you realize you are replying to a post that is over 6 years old and Cindy67's last log in was on February 01, 2013?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"