News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

George Knighton

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on January 03, 2014, 08:47:10 PM
As for discussions about ringers, we have a 302, a Galion, a Trimline, and a modern electronic warbler that all go when a call comes in. The cats dive for cover! ;-)

Unfortunately, with my wireless setup only the hard wired devices get enough power to ring.

So four 302's and one 500 ring...the others are mute.

Another strange thing:  If I'm having a conversation in my office on a 302, every couple of minutes a phone somewhere in the house will give a short ½ ring.  This goes on as long as I'm on the call.

0_o

Haven't had the opportunity to figure out yet where it's coming from.
Annoying new poster.

mrbugsir

I acquired a PBX so all the phones I keep in my collection can actually fully function, and to limit my collection to 8. I did find my wife a French reproduction (1961) that will live upstairs and not be a part of the 8. I do dial out with a rotary phone for "real" phone calls, mostly when I order dinner from a takeout place and know that I will speak to a human. I was thinking about getting a tone generator in case I am ever confronted with a dreaded Auto Attendant  :o

Greg G.

Quote from: mrbugsir on January 06, 2014, 05:53:27 PM
I acquired a PBX so all the phones I keep in my collection can actually fully function, and to limit my collection to 8. I did find my wife a French reproduction (1961) that will live upstairs and not be a part of the 8. I do dial out with a rotary phone for "real" phone calls, mostly when I order dinner from a takeout place and know that I will speak to a human. I was thinking about getting a tone generator in case I am ever confronted with a dreaded Auto Attendant  :o

Limit to 8?  hahaha!!!  That'll change, take our word for it!  Sounds like you have a 308 PBX like I do.  I only have one working phone plugged into it.  I mostly use it for testing other phones for basic functionality.  I can navigate the vast majority of phone trees as long as they don't insist on a # or * because the PBX acts as a tone generator.  Oh, and as I understand it, the 308 will technically support more than 8 phones, 4 per port I think.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mrbugsir

Quote from: Brinybay on January 07, 2014, 11:23:49 PM
Limit to 8?  hahaha!!!  That'll change, take our word for it!

I figured I'd get some guff for that remark. As I discover more and more cool phones that are out there, I am certain I will want to expand my collection.

My PBX is an 816, and with its expansion module it has 16 total ports. I haven't looked into how many phone on each port, something to do with REN I am guessing? I want to have a collection in my basement office on a shelf, all fully functional and on their own lines so I can ring their bells when I show them off, but will also hook up the house's existing lines so I can intersperse other phones throughout. But my punchdown tool didn't even come with a 66 blade. Oh the humanity!

I have seen the collections other people have. I said, "Holy (bleep)! What have I gotten myself into?!!" But at this point I have lost more auctions than I can count, so 8 seems like a lofty goal at this point  >:(

twocvbloke

You could probably get away with 4 phones per port, so, 16x4=64 phones... ;D

It'd be safer with 2 per port though, just so you don't overload it... :)

Bill Cahill

Almost every phone I use in the house is antique. I have one modern phone that I hate. I have a vintage push button phone, but, it's dead. DOA Haven't been able to fix it.
Still looking for parts to finnish my antique phones, and, hook them up. Oh, well.

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

HarrySmith

What parts are you looking for Bill?

MrBugSir, how is that 8 phone collection working out?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Scotophor

Where I come from, "antique" has the specific definition of 100 years old or older... so, being new to the hobby, I don't technically have any antique phones yet.

My oldest phone is a refurbed 302 with most parts from late '46 thru early '47, but handset parts ranging from 10-41 through 7-56, and it isn't ready for return to service yet. The only other phone I have that I consider "old" is an NE-500 with base, network, ringer and dial from '71 but refurb parts up to the handset and shell's dates of '84. The 500 is in service and 100% working including ringing and dialing out on my Verizon FiOS FTTH line.

If and when I get an antique phone, it will be with the intent of using it. Right now I have a cluttered room that could use a phone with a small footprint. I'm currently thinking either a wall phone like a 354 or a smaller one of similar vintage, or perhaps an Ericofon "cobra" phone. Maybe something else would go in that spot temporarily, like a clear trimline-style phone with neon like the one I was recently outbid for on eBay, or a small character/novelty phone that's currently in my watch list. A candlestick would be great, but I doubt I can find a genuine one within my budget and restoration abilities.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

mrbugsir

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 28, 2014, 12:06:33 PM
MrBugSir, how is that 8 phone collection working out?

I am over half way there already!

I have been spending most of my time preparing the electronic infrastructure to display my collection; learning about PBXes and punching down to 66 blocks, etc. Inspired with what others have done with their backboards, I realized mine was terrible, and that I had no place to put my PBX and my 66 blocks, so I have been rebuilding my "telco demarc" under the stairs. This included installing a wall-mounted 6-RU network cabinet for all my Ethernet switch equipment and a patch panel to terminate all the ports I ran throughout the house over the years. Just this week I tore out all the cables on one end and this weekend I'll punch them down to the panel. Once that is done, I'll disconnect all my existing phone lines, attach another sheet of plywood, and start building the telephone side.

I want all the phones in my collection to ring, I love the sound of the old bells, which was more of a challenge than expected because of the harmonic ringer surprise, but working on a solution for that, too. So my collection is staying pretty small so far. I found that although I like the classic phones, the more unusual phones spin my dial. I am guessing that I may have to adjust my collection size to 15.

HarrySmith

Sounds very nice! Also sounds like a ton of work! So, from 8 to 15 in 2 months, the disease is progressing ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Bill Cahill

I need the blue receiver for a hard wired 500.
I also need a replacement dial mechanism for an early 500.
Need both sets of wires for an earlier model Bell.
Thanks.

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Greg G.

Quote from: Scotophor on February 26, 2014, 02:12:18 AM
Where I come from, "antique" has the specific definition of 100 years old or older... so, being new to the hobby, I don't technically have any antique phones yet.

That's the rule US Customs goes by, also many dealers use it, and it's generally used by most people.  Apparently it's the only real law (in the US) defining an antique, but it's used by US Customs the purposes of imports, so it's not really a hard-and-fast, absolute rule in all cases.  A lot depends on the item in question, and it varies from one thing to the next.  Also depends on who you talk to.  Just like the saying "ask 10 people and you'll get at least 10 different answers", same goes for designating something as "antique", or even "vintage".  I personally would consider many of the phones in my collection "antique", even though they have at least another 10-20 years to go to reach 100, e.g. candlesticks, B1s and D1s I consider antique, maybe even some 302s. 

Here's a couple articles I found regarding the subject:

http://antiques.about.com/od/resourcesforbeginners/qt/aa040608a.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

all the phones in my house are vintage... I'm using all WE 400 series keysets... have a 1A1 KTU in the closet and only 1 TT for calling my voicemail and other services... I was raised on rotary, and I'll die with it too! they outlast any TT phone even those made by W.E.!
John

Tim Mc

I just installed this WE 653 after getting the parts back from the powdercoater.  It's an "upgrade" to the previous aqua 554 and 211.

Jimster

That is beautiful.  Another one for my WTB list.   ;D
You have a call on line 2.