News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 20AL Reciever Parts Question

Started by Landshark, April 26, 2015, 10:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landshark

Watching a Northern Electric candle stick on the Bay.  Seller says it is a 1915 20-AL nickel but I can see that the transmitter is black and the perch does say 20-AL but the stand and stick are nickel plated.  Which from what I have read is from a NE 20-PL.  I asked to see photos of the inside of the transmitter and receiver but only got a picture of the receiver, it doesn't have the insides of a magnetic receiver but just a receiver likely off a F-1 handset as the date is 3-10-78 Which I take is 1978.  A candle stick receiver should have the magnetic insides right?  The phone is in good condition, but I like originality, I am not too concerned that the parts are mixed up, 20-AL vs 20-PL but the receiver I would like original. 

Anyone know if a 1915 could have a none electric receiver?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271848485422

Bob

NorthernElectric

You mean this one?  Please confirm if that is the correct auction link, so the experts can see the photos and offer opinions.

If this is the one, it looks to me like the phone has been assembled using parts from at least 2 phones; hence the nickeled base and stem but black hook, perch, and transmitter.  I think the receiver looks like a 706A which I think were introduced sometime in the 1930s around the time that anti-sidetone dial candlesticks were introduced.  I assume the dated part is the element, correct?

I bought a NE 20-AL which also came with a 706A receiver.  The seller presented it to me as belonging with the phone.  I would guess if that is true that it was the result of a  replacement or refurbishment at some point.
Cliff

Landshark

Yes, that is the one. So the receiver is not from a 1915 20-AL?

Here is a close up from seller. And yes, the element has the date, The black receiver has a faint groove around the top of the 'bulb' end. All receivers I have seen from NE 20-AL don't have that.  So it could be the seller is not sure what he has, and the receiver is from the 1930s.

Landshark

I put an offer in, I want a Northern Electric Candlestick as I want to pair it to my huge NE 300A Ringer box I got for free.  I don't really care about mixing the nickel with black, if I get it, I might just powder coat the whole thing satin black, as my buddy is all set up to do powder coating.

Bob

Sargeguy

It looks like an over-priced Frankenphone.  That looks like a 706A receiver that is missing it's element and has bent or missing contacts.  I would pass.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Landshark

Agree the "buy now price" was very high, sent in an offer that was much lower, cost is all relative to where you live and what you want.  I live way to far from any garage sales or junk markets to find something like a candlestick phone.  Buying from the states always involves poor dollar exchange, or duty and/or high shipping costs so I stick with Canadian sellers mostly.  I can see that once this phone is powdercoated satin black and a new spit cup, then hooked up to my free NE Ringer Box it will look pretty nice and cost will be reasonable.

I do have a question, what is better the HA-1 or G Style receiver element?  I have a couple of each from old NE monophones but have not yet  installed a network to try them out.

Thanks

Bob