"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Monarch Candlestick and American Tel & Tel Wood Phone Opportunity

Started by Nick in Manitou, April 13, 2016, 07:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Looking for advice...

I have an opportunity to make a competitive offer on either or both of these phones at a local shop.  BUT, money is tight and I really don't know much about Candlesticks or Wooden Phones.

I have taken several photos of both phones and would appreciate advice.  If the 'stick is unusual and I should pursue it, what would be a price that I should offer?  (The receiver guts have been replaced with a HA1) The receiver has the flatted edges around the cap.

I have been holding off messing with my phones for a while as funds have been tight, so if this phone is often seen on the market, I will pass unless I can really steal it!

The wooden phone is mostly gutless as can be seen in the photos.  I figured that I would ask about this here in case any of the components are ones that are hard to find. When I was looking at the phone in person, I couldn't see any writing on the transmitter tag, but when I got home and looked at the pictures, I could see that it seems to say American Tel & Tel.  The receiver seems to be complete on this one, but has no markings that I could find.

Again, any advice as to whether or not to pursue one/both of these would be appreciated.  Also, if there is a part that you need and can see in the photos, let me know and perhaps I will pursue it just so I can pass it along to you.

I will post photos of the wooden phone in the next post.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick in Manitou

Here are the photos of the wooden phone

Russ Kirk

You didn't mention asking prices, that may become a factor.

If I saw these at an antique shop I would pass on the wood phone. Difficulty getting parts ks a major factor. If you do manage to get the parts, you might pay more than the phone is worth.

As for Monarch phone, I would grab it right away. Out here in California, i never see those available. The repo mouthpiece is not a big issue.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

rdelius

The wooden set appears to be assembled of mixed parts along with incomplete magneto.The Monarch stick is a better choice although the receiver is a WE with a harder to find Kellogg cap

Nick in Manitou

I didn't mention the asking prices for these items because they are at an auction.  (If any other members of the forum are going to bid, please let me know so I won't bid against you!)

I had sort of assumed that the wooden phone was not worth pursuing, but I figured I'd post photos here in case there were specific parts that someone on the forum would identify as being something hard to find.

So, I guess what I am asking now is, What would be a fair retail price on the Monarch candlestick in its current condition?  Chances are, someone else will be ready to pay more for the phone as a decoration than I will be for it as a restoration project, but if I know what a ballpark retail value is, then I have an idea of what to bid.

Also, I have attached a (not-so-good) photo of the mouthpiece on the 'stick.  Is it a repro?  If so, what gives that away?

Again, if someone else is planning on bidding, please let me know and I will step aside!

Nick

rdelius

That mouthpiece is a reproduction, note the holes do not go all the way through.I would not reject the stick for this

Nick in Manitou

Since I really don't know what I should offer on the Monarch candlestick phone, could someone suggest a maximum price I should go for if I am trying to "steal" the phone?

I need a good receiver for my WE stick, so I might bid a low number on the wooden phone just for the receiver.  Can anyone suggest a reasonable price for a complete, un-restored receiver?  I figure that would be what I should offer for the wooden phone, and have the rest on the shelf for parts.

So, I am looking for two numbers:
1.  What would be a safe price to pay for the Monarch 'stick
2.  If I am purchasing the wooden phone for parts (really the receiver), what should be my top offer?

I have been around here, on an off for a while, but in reality I am still a beginner!

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nick

Stubbypylon

Nick,

Here's a recent completed eBay auction for a Monarch. It will give you an idea of value.  Personally I think this eBay auction went pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Monarch-Telephone-Manufacturing-Company-Telephone-Body-/162003167663?hash=item25b82429af:g:RO4AAOSwr7ZW4cId
Craig Stanowski

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for the input Craig!  It should have occurred to me to search the sold listings on eBay, but it didn't. 

Nick

rdelius

That wooden set does not have a WE receiver,the set is mixed parts.You can find nicer sets for as little as $100.00 or so.Ordinary wooden sets have dropped in price for the last 15 or so years.

Nick in Manitou

rdelius,
Thanks! I am not experienced enough with these units to know that the receiver is not WE.

I was going to bid an amount that would feel like a good price for the receiver and if I won the bid, I would just have the rest on the shelf.  But if it is not a WE receiver, I guess I will not bid on it.

Nick 

poplar1

Other than the transmitter unit, I don't think any part of the wall phone is Western Electric.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

I the wall set is cheep enough, swap the rec to the monarch and see about a cap. The Monarch does have a WE shell with a Kellogg cap. This would get you halfway there.Not sure what the other rec cap is  .Not enough to see

Nick in Manitou

I decided to bid a low number on the wooden wall unit and will do as rdelius suggests with regard to the receiver.
I am also bidding on the Monarch and will see if that goes in my favor. 
We are having a bit of a blizzard today, so perhaps many folks will not be bidding against me.  (Because of the snow I am staying home and have submitted a remote bid.)

I am attaching a couple of photos of the receiver cap on the wooden unit.

Nick in Manitou

Well shucks.

Having not heard back from the auction house by now, I have to assume that both the Monarch and the wooden wall unit both went to someone else who was ready to spend more money than I was. 

I appreciate the information you all have supplied.  It was a learning opportunity for me even if I didn't end up winning the bid.

Thanks,
Nick