News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Candlestick

Started by oldguy, July 27, 2019, 08:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

So, I picked up another candlestick today. off of Craigslist in Sacramento CA. I paid $50 for it. It looks very similar to my AE21 but my AE 21 has a recessed dial, this one has a raised dial. the base on my 21 is Bakelite base & this new phone has a metal base I would appreciate any information on this phone.
Gary

oldguy

Here are a couple of pics of my AE21
Gary

rdelius

I suspect that the earlier type 21 stick had the dial mounted on the surface and the later one recessed. The type 24 dial would fit both but the earlier smaller  dial would not mount in a recessed hole.

Jack Ryan

In 1930 the AE 21 gained the Bakelite base of the AE 1-A so that the dial became recessed. Prior to that, the base was brass and the dial surface mounted.

After 1930, the metal base remained an option but it was modified and included a metal sub-frame so that the dial surface mounted. The same optional metal base was available for the AE 1-A.

Jack

oldguy

thanks for the info guys.
Gary

HowardPgh

Having the molded bakelite base eliminates all the extra parts needed for the terminal strips. AE also made a base like that to retrofit manual Western Electric sticks for dial use.
Howard

rdelius

They also made a similar base for Kellogg non dial sticks also.

Jack Ryan

AE made a lot of dial conversion kits - many were generic but some were for specific brands like WE & Kellogg.

In catalogues, AE often showed WE telephones with AE conversion kits fitted. I wonder if that was a poke at WE?

Jack

rdelius

Many of the dial conversions by Autelco (AE) were wartime to convert old obsolete equipment to fill shortages .The telephone companies could not buy new telephones.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on July 31, 2019, 10:50:32 PM
Many of the dial conversions by Autelco (AE) were wartime to convert old obsolete equipment to fill shortages .The telephone companies could not buy new telephones.

While there were wartime conversions, the conversion kits were sold when there was a lot of auto upgrades happening. These conversions didn't usually happen during wartime. Many of the conversion kits were advertised between WW1 and WW2 and it was more about reusing the old CB and magneto telephones to save money.

WE also sold conversion kits - mostly to convert wall phones. There were plenty of other conversion kits available and some were pretty ugly. Again, these were for upgrading telephones in the field when the exchange upgraded to auto.

There were kits available after WW2 as well but I don't recall seeing the candlestick kits then - just the wall phone kits.

Jack