News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

If you go on YouTube, it's everywhere how to make a mask you can use tee shirts and have a hole that you can loop behind your ears no need for sewing or elastic anything. There must be a few dozen posts there with all sorts of ideas.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Regarding masks. I made one from a doggy bandana and a worn out sunglasses strap form the $1.00 store. basically a shoelace with a slider.

Some folks use the fabric covered  elastic rubber bands for hair. You can get a pack at the $1 store.
Jim

Locally I find find really nice homemade cloth masks for free and up to $10.00.
Check nextdoor.com for free/cheap masks.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

In the past week, I had two home made masks given to me. Gave one to my wife, so when she goes out a few local stores don't want you in the store unless your wearing a mask.
KEN

19and41

I bought masks from this firm,  it took about 3 days shipping from China.  I see the under $200 packages have sold out.

https://www.art3d.com/category/face-mask/
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I went today to get the Covid-19 antibody test.  I was sick the first week everything started in the US and have always wondered If it was the coronavirus.  There were folks living in the sticks here that had it that early.
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: 19and41 on April 21, 2020, 06:47:12 PM
I went today to get the Covid-19 antibody test.  I was sick the first week everything started in the US and have always wondered If it was the coronavirus...

Wishing you all the best.

Stay well.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

Sorry I hadn't posted.  I was negative and my 14 day quarantine ended the day I got the result.  That was 7 days.  Now I'm back at work.  there are over 600 confirmed cases in my county, rising every few days.  The numbers of deceased are rising much slower.  I got my hair cut last friday and the barber couldn't see any advantage to wearing a mask even in such close proximity.   I couldn't blame her, unless it were a more advanced respirator mask on the order of a gas mask.  I'd hate to have that Hobson's choice of poverty or risking the illness.  I guess I do, in being exposed to people's personal equipment.  One person turning in his radio last evening had a family member get it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

This weeks visit to the supermarket was pretty much the same as previously. No queues. Shelves stocked. The car park was as full as it might have been prior to confinement.

For the first time there was a notice stating sanitised trolleys had been placed inside the foyer, and hand sanitiser was near the entrance/exit for shoppers to use.

Flour was in the larger 5kg bags. This is usually available anyway but this time there was more of it filling the shelves alongside the smaller 1kg bags. Also more 'own brand' products. Prices appear to have increased on some items.

This week there were 75ml bottles of hand sanitiser available.

What struck me the most was the general attitude of shoppers. No respect for the 1 metre distancing, chatting in the isles blocking the way, and moving just a step back to clear a space when it was noticed that someone needed to pass.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

twocvbloke

Quote from: Brinybay on May 03, 2020, 10:27:29 PM
As for me personally, I'm with Clint!

Same here, only difference is the shopping experiences...  ;D

Babybearjs

well, its time for me to chime in.... got my stimulus money last Thursday, ordered a 7.0 CF chest freezer from Home Depot.... got a delivery date of 8-4-20.... so.... does anyone living in OHIO know whats up wth the Appliance factories? (at least I think Ohio is where they are) thanks to all these people PANICKING.... its caused major delays with the supply chain.... I tried to contact HD today but was on hold for over 10 minutes waiting.... no one ever answered.... I bet GE and the other brands have a order list 10 miles long.... and thats JUST for freezers..... if anyone knows more then me, please speak up....  I'm ready for a new freezer!
John

19and41

They are just as not available in Georgia.  I suspected they are being snapped up to store the hoarded food.
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

I visited Costco tonight, and selection was good except fresh meat was bare, save salmon, $120 tenderloin roasts, and halal ground lamb. No pork, no chicken, no other beef...

Frozen plain (no breading) chicken and beef were empty - plenty of panko-breaded chicken, though...

Hidden secret: check the halal frozen section - frozen chicken breasts and frozen ground beef in stock - and it tastes, cooks, etc. the same...

The veggie section seemed a little lean, but learned they moved some fruits and veggies to where meat normally is, and provided more room for social distancing...

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!