News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What makes this so expensive, eBay BK product tester for $1500.?

Started by Key2871, June 25, 2020, 09:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

KEN

AT2796

I'll take a guess, but my guess may likely have little value.

When I first started splicing fiber optic cable in the early 90's, the equipment was outrageous.
Fusion splicer around $20K, OTDR (optical time domain reflectometer) for testing splice and spans, $15K for the meter alone. A separate plug in was required for each wavelength to be tested at $6k each.
Depending on the application, we could be required to test up to 4 different wavelengths.

Perhaps this is a meter the seller used back when they cost that much. I'd doubt they will get anything near that price.

BTW the fiber optic tools described above are ready available for a total of $5-7K and far superior to those I used 25+ years ago.

JMO, like I said before, may not be worth much!
Andy

Russ Kirk

There are occassionally some on ebay for $499. But I've seen some go for $100-150. I want one but not at crazy prices.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

FABphones

My thoughts are yet another seller not doing their research and pricing at what they think it's worth, not what it actually is worth.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

It was once owned by a very famous person and the parts inside are made of gold.

RB

I did some fiber installations back in the 90's.
We were a small company, and could not afford the equipment either.
So I suggested we purchase all of our fiber products, "long runs, and patch cables" pre terminated, with patch panels.
Went quick, and painless.  ;)

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on June 26, 2020, 07:14:52 AM
It was once owned by a very famous person...
;D

...or maybe it was used to test the Titanic telephone:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21542

( Just à bit of fun guys, all tongue in cheek  :) )
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Yea, I think it's someone not seeing them come up all the time, or just fooling themselves and asking an outrageous price.
But 15? That's crazy.
KEN

Scott

Maybe it is like my Dad told me one time, "You can't get it unless you ask for it". In this case I don't think they will, but maybe.

Scott K.

19and41

They can ask any price they want and you can make any offer you want.  Sometimes the offers fire the retro rockets to bring the price back to earth.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke