News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic 554 Logo Distorted or Mismolded?

Started by allnumbedup, October 10, 2020, 01:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I won a very clean 554 wall phone on ebay that I just opened. It has a G1 handset, wide statin hook, and older style base and shell without the upper side ribs, as discussed here before:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1707.msg22755#msg22755
It is date matching to 5-6/1956 except for a long 1960 cord that has torn vinyl. But I was disappointed to find its Bell Systems logo messed up.  Here it is on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bell-System-Western-Electric-Classic-Black-Wall-Phone-Telephone-AB-554/193696892571?hash=item2d193c069b:g:I6EAAOSwv-1fej7e ( dead link 06-05-21 )

Has anyone seen a logo that is a distorted like this on a Bell Systems phone before?--it has a rough texture but the phone does not and I cannot find any stray sand marks either. I would like to keep the shell because it has a nice imprinted matching date and no side ribs either.   Production flaw or damage? Any ideas for fixing it? I have given some thought to router-ing out and replacing with a logo cut out of a donor shell but don't have another shell to donate right now. Could probably make it look better but not readable with sanding/polishing.  Any thoughts will be appreciated...
Analog Phones for a Digital World

FABphones

Unsure how it became so, but I would leave it as is and put it down to character. I wouldn't cut it up to alter as may well be how it was molded.

Is that a scratch to lower left? That could be sanded out, but again, I would avoid the logo area.

Close up view and listing screenshot of complete phone:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Yes I agree, theres no way to fix that. It looks like it was done to hide the bell system info that was there.
Very carefully done, but cant fix that.
KEN