News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two French Radios

Started by FABphones, May 28, 2021, 12:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I popped into a local Depot Vente (junk shop for misc old stuff), and was musing over a crystal chandelier when an ivory radio hidden under some old photo frames took my attention. Small/med in size, not in perfect condition and with a crack to the top, I took it over to the counter, bartered a bit on the price and bought it for €5 ($6). I hope to be able to repair the crack to top once I have checked out what it is made from.

I went back to the Chandelier and looking down spotted a second, but larger, ivory radio on the floor. Can't believe I almost missed it. Looked it over - all intact and no damage. So, back over to the payment counter, seller said €10 ($12). I didn't barter on that one.

Now in the little workshop, I will be taking a closer look in the coming days. I was asked if I will plug them in to see if they work - so far, the only thing I have learnt is not to plug them in!

Both are quite grubby, and I have not had the backs off yet, but the dust is thick in there.

ETA: A sneak peek inside the smaller radio (image 5).

More photos to follow.  :D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Nice! Good luck with those finds.
Radiomuseum.org will help to identify what you have and to find wiring diagrams etc.

FABphones

Thanks countryman. I'm looking for schematics so will check that out.

New territory for me, as have never so much as taken the back off a radio before so these are a steep learning curve. Where to begin....

These models date from 1956 and 1958 respectively.

Image below showing the inside of the larger radio, as found. Original elec cables are a mess.

The smaller unit is destined to remain in the little workshop, the larger radio will sit next to the U43 Ivory phones.

:)

countryman

Most any time there will be bad capacitors to deal with. After cleaning and replacing the cord you might be tempted to give it a try and energize the unit though.  If you want to do so you should wire a 60 Watt incandescent light bulb in series. That way a short circuit would let the lamp shine up brightly without endangering the radio. If OK, you should at least have some sort of reaction from the radio while the lamp just glows.
Make sure to replace critical caps also if it works at a first try. The unit has a 240 V setting, use it also if you are on nominal 230 V. It's safer to use a higher setting.
Not sure if the unit uses a transformer that fully  isolates the chassis from the power grid. If not, the chassis will be energized when plugged in. Better double check that.
There won't be too many stations to receive as most European AM stations shut down meanwhile. UK still has some, and in France there is Bretagne 5 on 1593 AM with a nice program. Not really receivable in my neck of the woods but I occasionally go to their web stream in the evening hours.

FABphones

Make that 'Three French Radios'. Came across this one today.

This one is wooden, and although Bakelite is my preference, for €8 (approx $10) I couldn't leave it.

Made by Gody. Marked 547 and dated 1947, I can find no info on this model. Not even a photo on the Internet. Plenty of info online about Mr Gody and a few of his other radio models, but not this one.

The image shows it as found. Haven't had a chance to look inside as yet. Plenty of dust covering it but no damage to the exterior, and no woodworm (yet).

19and41

You will usually find plenty of dust and dirt in the old sets.  That is a lot better than to have a mouse or two set up home in one.  They aren't housebroken and they damage portions pretty well.  Your sets look in reasonably good starting shape.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Cool looking radio. Could you add a closeup of the "face", if that what it is called. Where the numbers are.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: countryman on May 30, 2021, 08:25:45 AM
After cleaning and replacing the cord you might be tempted to give it a try and energize the unit though.  If you want to do so you should wire a 60 Watt incandescent light bulb in series. That way a short circuit would let the lamp shine up brightly without endangering the radio. If OK, you should at least have some sort of reaction from the radio while the lamp just glows.

Here's a link to the what and why of a dim bulb tester:

https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

FABphones

Thanks guys, and thanks for the link.

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 28, 2021, 04:05:06 PM
...Could you add a closeup of the "face", if that what it is called. Where the numbers are.

This is the Gody (I can get more pics sorted for you tomorrow if you meant one of the others).

:)

HarrySmith

Thanks, that is what I wanted to see. Very cool!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

I have decided to Bluetooth one of these, am awaiting delivery of the conversion kit. Undecided as yet as to which radio, but likely the smallest, which is destined for the little workshop.

Am leaving all components exactly as they are, plenty of room in there to add the Bluetooth board without needing to destroy. Unfortunately some conversions I have seen have been needlessly gutted of all interior.

oldguy

Wow you must be rich CJ, money leftover for radios after buying phones🤔😜😉. They are cool radios.  I miss your statement: "I never realized how antisocial I was until the pandemic and my life hasn't changed that much" or something like that. I actually felt the same way but I could still work part time so my weeks were kind of normal.
Gary

FABphones

Glad to read you are doing ok in these odd times Gary. We here are just lucky enough to have a good amount of land around the house and work here on the property keeps me busy. The 'antisocial' quote was quite apt for me and nicely lighthearted.  :)

These radios were very cheap from a junk shop, they had old picture frames piled on and around them, I almost didn't spot them and when I took the larger Ivory Bakelite one up to the pay counter I actually had to stop the vendor leaning on the top of it with his elbow.  :o

I'll still be doing the dim bulb test on each of these, and keeping the interior complete, but curiosity got me as to how well one of these would convert.

This is the Bluetooth board I am waiting for. I chose the simple option. Easy to fit, no cuts to back board or alterations to radio, just a simple wire up of the speaker. Bluetooth PCB connects to a 12v adaptor so just plug it into the mains (no USB charge up). A simple plug in and play.

Radio reception can be a bit hit and miss in my location so a few choice podcasts will be welcome when restoring the backlog of phones.  :)

oldguy

That's a cool conversation, I've never head of it before.
Gary

Etienne

Countryman's warning cannot be too much emphasized. Be very careful with those old radios. Their old capacitors can explode and cause considerable damage to the innard. It is stongly recommended to change all chemical capacitors before turning the radio on.