News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sometimes the words has different meaning in other languages

Started by dsk, June 05, 2021, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

;)  This picture is shared in Norwegian FB pages .....  but why?

Her is my translation, and that may be made in not too good English

dsk

countryman

May sound funny in Norwegian, but is a normal German car plate. BOT = Bottrop, a city in western Germany. KR 700 are random numbers/letters.
First 1, 2 or 3 letters on German plates stand for an urban municipality or a rural county, followed by 1 or 2 random letters and 1,2,3 or 4 random ciphers. A final letter H indicates a tax reduced historic car, an E an electric vehicle.

Sure funny sequences are possible. Some are only issued upon request, like DO OF ("dumb") (Dortmund) or S EX (Stuttgart) :-)
The latter word is also possible in Bad Segeberg (SE). Random letters that resemble Nazi propaganda words or abbreviations are not issued. Many people elect to eternalize their initials in the random letters and pay € 20,- extra for that at the licensing office.
The system was developed in Western Germany in the 1950ies but the developers were wise enough to reserve prefixes for the East German cities, too so that it could be continued after the re-unification.

Duster is a model name for a Dacia car (Budget brand of Renault, made in Romania. They sell great here in Germany.) Car model names are a touchy subject sometimes :-) what sounds good in one language may appear foolish in another.

RB

Yeah, but it sure is fun though! ;D
We have a Chrysler product here called Duster.
Could mean "leave you in the dust".
Or, that thing on a stick your mom used to clean the "Dust" off of the furniture.
Take your pic ;)

dsk

On our way to the our cabin we trive trough here, Ausland is the nam of a farm/small village, but in german it has a different meaning.  Maybe abroad will be the English translation of the German word.

dsk

RB

Burrr!!!
I got chills just lookin at that pic lol :)
That looks just like winter where I grew up ;)