News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first Payphone WE 233G

Started by captroosh, July 17, 2021, 04:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captroosh

So I just got a hold of the hook for the receiver for this phone. Only thing is in order to attach it permanently it requires a screw I'm betting an Allen head type. Looks like it would be very small. attached is a photo of the hook  and where it attaches. Does anyone know what the sije of this set screw is? Is it commonly available through Home depot, or lowes Etc. Or do I have to try and hunt for it. Any help is always appreciated
Capt. Roosh.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

rdelius

WE liked odd sizes  it might be a 5-40 flathead.if not a 6-32 easy to find

captroosh

Been a while. I have been gathering missing parts. Many thanks to everyone here especially payphone installer. Only problem I seem to be having is getting dial tone. I went through a number of wiring threads but no luck. First I tried to use the network and bells from a 554. No luck.
I came across a 685A and purchased it. I hooked it up as described here. The difficulty I believe has to do with the hook switch or the dial connections.
I tested the handset it works. The subset rings when I dial but the hook switch doesn't break the connection. I can faintly hear the ringing on the andset as electrical noise. Also the noise will cut out if I move the dial. And return when it moves back. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

I thought I would give further info on How I have this Wired. The attached diagram is from another post on Classic Rotary. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24813.msg245807#msg245807  This is how I currently have this connected. The problems are the same  The difficulty I believe has to do with the hookswitch or the dial connections.
I tested the handset, it works. The subset rings when I dial but the hookswitch doesn't break the connection. I can faintly hear the ringing on the handset as electrical noise. Also the noise will cut out if I move the dial. And return when it moves back. I guess that could mean the dial is working. Which leads me to believe the hookswitch is the culprit.
Capt. Roosh.

Key2871

Turning the dial slightly with shunt the receiver so you can't hear anything.
The hookswitch doesn't... Open the circuit? As in hang up.
Or it doesn't close as in pick up on the line?
It sounds as though the contacts are not adjusted correctly. Or may be dirty.
With the handset on the hook switch look at the contacts are they open? And when the handset is removed do they close and slightly move the rear part they make with?
If no, or not quite is the answer they need to be adjusted. It's normal when they meet they the contacts to insure a good contact.
To clean the contacts place a clean index or business card between the contacts, moving back and forth with your hand on the hanger to ensure a good tight fit.
KEN

captroosh

Ok here's the thing and it has made troubleshooting almost impossible. I don't have the screw necessary for attaching the receiver hook. Best I can say is that when I work on this the receiver is off the hook. Hopefully I should hear dialtone. WHat happens when I dial the number is that the subset rings as if the receiver is on the hook. As I said earlier I can hear electronic noise very low almost inaudible as the bells ring and that shunt as you said when I turn the dial. I agree with you that the hookswitch may be out of adjustment. As far as those parts I have the  internal brass lever that the hook attaches too as well as a spring. I have played with it  so it does pivot back and forth. but never any dialtone. Cleaned the lower connection points on the bottom but not up top. I'll check those. Any tips for making Adjustments to the hookswitch. Thanks.
Capt. Roosh.

poplar1

The hookswitch has 2 sets of contacts. You can temporarily use wires to short Y and SL together, also GN to BBX. There is also a jumper wire from BBX to BB; is that present?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Key2871

I believe it's just a set screw that is needed, so take the hanger with you to a hardware store and find a suitable screw to use. It's not long, but I can't remember what thread it is.
I'm surprised no one has said what the thread is.
4/40 sounds right but I am most likely wrong.
KEN

captroosh

Quote from: poplar1 on October 21, 2021, 03:50:10 PM
The hookswitch has 2 sets of contacts. You can temporarily use wires to short Y and SL together, also GN to BBX. There is also a jumper wire from BBX to BB; is that present?
The jumper is there between bbx and bb. I hope this isn't a dumb question. What will shorting out those connections do?
Capt. Roosh.

captroosh

Quote from: Key2871 on October 21, 2021, 05:06:13 PM
I believe it's just a set screw that is needed, so take the hanger with you to a hardware store and find a suitable screw to use. It's not long, but I can't remember what thread it is.
I'm surprised no one has said what the thread is.
4/40 sounds right but I am most likely wrong.

I went to home Depot. Closest I came screwed in just a couple turns. Yeah I have to find a real hardware store. Don't recall any nearby. Maybe where I work.
Capt. Roosh.

Stan S

Don't go crazy trying to find that screw. Retap the hole 6-32. Use a flat head 6-32 screw. The head of the screw will stick up a little more but just as long as you can get the 'gate operating arm' assembly mounted it will work fine. I've done a few phones that way. With the hookswitch the way it is now both sets of contacts should be connected and you should be getting a dial tone. That's assuming the switch contacts are properly adjusted.

poplar1

Quote from: captroosh on October 21, 2021, 08:49:02 PM
The jumper is there between bbx and bb. I hope this isn't a dumb question. What will shorting out those connections do?
[/quote author=captroosh link=topic=25390.msg251556#msg251556 date=1634863742]

These are the terminals for the 2 pairs of contacts that make when the phone is off- hook. So even if the hookswitch contacts are not closing properly, you should have dial tone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Key2871

Yea after I gave it some thought I remember they had a very strange thread. And now I read Stans post that confirmed it and I remembered I was told to retap the thread to 6-32 because those screws are not available.

But home depot doesn't have a good selection of hardware.
KEN

captroosh

Quote from: poplar1 on October 21, 2021, 09:40:10 PM
These are the terminals for the 2 pairs of contacts that make when the phone is off- hook. So even if the hookswitch contacts are not closing properly, you should have dial tone.
I will give that a shot tomorrow. Long work day today.

Quote from: Key2871 on October 21, 2021, 09:55:24 PM
Yea after I gave it some thought I remember they had a very strange thread. And now I read Stans post that confirmed it and I remembered I was told to retap the thread to 6-32 because those screws are not available.

But home depot doesn't have a good selection of hardware.

Always wanted a Tap and Die kit, Now I have a reason to buy one. LOL
Capt. Roosh.

Key2871

Well yes, and they are expensive if you get a nice set.
If you have a lot of projects that you need a T&D set for, yes. But to tap or die a rod for threads occasionally I would just get a good tap handle and tap for what you need, and store in a dry place, and lightly oil then every year, or they could rust.
KEN