Author Topic: French ‘Teprina’ Candlestick  (Read 202 times)

Offline FABphones

• Global Moderator
French ‘Teprina’ Candlestick
« on: October 06, 2021, 03:51:02 AM »
This unusual French candlestick marked ‘Teprina, Paris’ recently sold on the auction website.

There is some damage to the unusually placed transmitter, and a listening earpiece instead of a receiver/handset. There were no additional photos of the rear of listener to match up the marque and I could find no further design information. It doesn’t look 100% correct to me and without documentation to confirm either way, I did not bid.

It received 16 bids and sold for €110 (just over $127).

Screenshots below.
 :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:34:10 PM by FABphones »
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
—-
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble
—-
‘You never realise how anti-social you are until there’s a pandemic and your life doesn’t really change that much’

Offline countryman

Re: French ‘Telprina’ Candlestick
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 04:55:23 AM »
This relatively recent thread in the German forum suggests that Teprina (Téléphonie Privée Nationale) had connections to Harry Fuld's operations in Germany (the later T&N).
The design with a knob on the top of the stick resembles of Fuld's interpretations of the candlestick. Candlesticks never caught on in Germany, but Fuld made some. Google "Fuld Hochständer". They normally had handsets and a cylindrical base so it is not this phone. Looks very unusual, but not like like a frankenphone either.

Offline tubaman

Re: French ‘Telprina’ Candlestick
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 08:25:19 AM »
Interesting indeed.
I can't see any obvious 'Frankenphone' signs but it is odd that the receiver is at the back rather than to one side when the transmitter is facing you - hardly makes for the easiest use?
The base shape is very like that used by Western Electric.