News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German wartime tabletop LB with LB/CB possibility

Started by dsk, January 11, 2022, 07:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Just got bought this, hopefully it is here within a week. Looks like it has been tried to paint/vanish. What is the best way to remove that?  (did not buy the FF33 field telephone, I have far to many of those)

These phones was either called 
tischfernsprecher-38 and had a battery box included. (not on this)
https://televideo.ws/index.php/tischfernsprecher-38
or Festungs Tischfernsprecher 39 that had another ringer with higher resistance.
https://der-fernmelder.de/geraete-der-nachrichtentechnik/festungs-tischfernsprecher-39-ftf39/

FABphones

Quote from: dsk on January 11, 2022, 07:39:54 AM
What is the best way to remove that...

Is the varnish on top of wood, metal, plastic or Bakelite?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

countryman

Usually these objects are made of mottled brown Bakelite. It is resistant against solvents, lye and even paint stripper.
Still caution is advisable. I once had a surprise with a handset. The body was Bakelite and safe, while the mouthpiece started to disintegrate from paint stripper  :o
I'd suggest to start with a warm or hot lye from wash soda (sodium carbonate). It should be easily available and is fairly safe to use (protect eyes and skin, and wear a mask when handling the dry powder). Often simpler types of varnish can be rubbed or peeled off. If that does not work try paint stripper.
As always, try in a hidden area first. The innards must be completely removed for the process.

FABphones

I would do exactly the same as countryman suggests /\
Patch test on a small inside area first if considering paint stripper.

Old varnish will often peel away with a soap/water soak.

I have used paint stripper on Bakelite ( plenty of my threads on here, eg: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20677 )
to good effect, and the Bakelite shines up beautifully.

Let us know how you get on.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Dag....Citristrip  is excellent. Even with gloves, I get it on me and it is fairly gentle. No losing layers of skin like in the old days. ....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

Hot water with a little soap was all that was needed to clean it.

countryman

Nice job!
Apparently this phone was in service for the Norwegian army after the war, while it had been brought there by the German occupants?

dsk

That is right, at that time Norway was extremely poor, and the German phones had a high quality. Unofficially the FF33 field telephone was in use even in the 1980ies. Even canons, around 1985 the closed down the use of some German 150mm designed in 1928, The quality of them was superb, end they hit where they should, but they needed 12 man to get them working properly.

My father served in the Signal Corps in 1948, and the Lend and lease supported them with British and Amer can field phones like EE-8 and BD72. Even when German related was not popular at that time, my father told me that the German equipment was more reliable, and easier to handle.

When I grew up he tried to teach me to treat Germans equal to others because they were not responsible as individ's for what happened trough the war, and especially not those who were borne after the war.

dsk

By the way this type of phone are available in the USA too: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144357556099?hash=item219c617f83:g:rzIAAOSwMa5h1LZ4
I find the price a little high when I not know what sin the text: We cleaned her up, restored the internals, ensured that it works and wired in a D-Cell battery converter and left the battery in.
It looks like it is in great shape, but what is inside?