News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Lamp Info / Value Questions

Started by soco80p, August 23, 2011, 09:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soco80p

Hello, I recently acquired three antique candlestick phone lamps and was wondering what kind of value they may have and possible some more information on them.  All appear to be western electrics.
The phone on the left has on the base "PAT in USA aug 16 04 sept 14 04" and "property of the american bell telephone company" on the back of the microphone.
The phone in the middle has "40AL"
Lastly the phone on the right has "151AL" Thanks!

paul-f

Welcome to the forum!

The topic of phones converted to lamps is an interesting one.  Realize that when asking a group of phone collectors, you'll usually get a dismayed reaction wishing the lamp makers had not worked their craft on our potentially valuable phones.

You might get a different response on a lamp collectors' forum.

Many of us enjoy having an example or two in our collections, and many more look at these conversions as a source of parts, and value them based on the ease of restoring them to their original condition.  See, for example:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2743.0

Here are some photos of some lamps I've seen on the internet...
   http://www.paul-f.com/Lamps.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

Welcome.  It would help us to see/know just how much damage was done to the phones when they were made into lamps.  Whether or where holes were made and what internal parts, if any, were removed or modified will have an effect on the values as phones.  If they can be restored to their original conditions, they will be more valuable.

Larry

soco80p

Thanks for the replies. All of the phones have one hole made at the very top where the lamp fixture is screwed in, otherwise there are no other holes that have been made. The ear pieces and the mic you speak into all still have the original wires intact but the other wiring appears to be gone.

Sargeguy

Guesstimate:

Right $50-$75

Middle $150-200 depending on the dial

Left $125

I would lose the lamp parts before selling them (but disclose the damage and missing wiring).  ALso can you get a picture of the right side of the phone in the center to clarify what type of dial it has?  A #2 dial would increase the value.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

While we are on the topic I am the proud owner of the BEST LAMP PHONE EVER!!!

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

soco80p

I took a look at the phone with the dial and don't see any stamping on the side, it just has in the middle of the dial under the glass "TEnnyson 7-" and the second line "3421"

Sargeguy

We need a picture of the fingerstop.  Is it bolted to the outside of the dial or the inside?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: soco80p on August 23, 2011, 10:03:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. All of the phones have one hole made at the very top where the lamp fixture is screwed in, otherwise there are no other holes that have been made. The ear pieces and the mic you speak into all still have the original wires intact but the other wiring appears to be gone.

If anything is missing from the hook switches or the wiring connector blocks in the base, the values will be reduced.

Larry

Sargeguy

Also that is not a 40AL, so the perch is incorrect.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

soco80p

Would you happen to know what model it is? It has "40AL" stamped on the back on the top piece (apparently incorrect?) Also the model of the phone on the left?

Sargeguy

The one on the left is a 20-AL or similar.  The one in the center is a 50AL, 51-AL or 151AL.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409