News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Overview: The "Find of the Month" on the Classic Rotary Phones Forum

Started by AE_Collector, October 02, 2011, 08:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

I definitely DON'T agree that find of the month should be just one item. It should be a single purchase which may include many items. My logic is that treasure hunters finding a hoard of gold coins are considered to have made a much better find than someone finding a single gold coin, even though each coin individually has the same historical interest and monetary value.

Having said all that... Isn't any set of rule for something on a hobby forum that's just a bit of fun really a bit petty and pointless?

Just my thoughts.

Andy
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

AL_as_needed

No matter how we slice it, i think that we are proud of our hobby and our finds and love to share these discoveries with our fellows. A single phone or a box of them is a "discovery" either way and makes for variety. After all it is the members that vote for the FOTM, so it is really in their own opinions that make or break a selection. If you like a single piece only approach, then Im sure you vote that way, and likewise for those who see the joy of scoring a box of phones for next to nothing. All part of the CRPF fun.

TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Well, maybe it's time to re-visit the rules, for at least the 3rd time, IIRC. The rules or guidelines were discussed at length and the summary of all discussions and changes are presented in the first post of each month's topic. These were deliberative decisions that were made and changed over time based on issues that arose within the Find of the Months, not on a whim. The words that make up the guidelines/rules were carefully chosen to keep the Find within the boundaries of collecting telephones. The first paragraph of the guidelines/rules states:

"A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it."

Each of the guidelines or rules were not one person's idea. An open forum discussion allowed any and all interested members to present their thinking, their reasoning and their idea of what would work best for the Find of the Month, to keep the find nominations in line with the premise of this forum, the acquisition of a phone to be restored and become part of a members telephone collection. I have a hard time seeing a box of parts being displayed anywhere, no matter how good or how cheap the parts were. Now, one good phone found within a box of parts would be nominated, would fit the current guidelines/rules.

Now, if membership thinks the Find of the Month should be morphed into something other than that, then let's open up the rules discussion again and find out what members really want to consider as a find, something worthy of what to be restored how and displayed where - stuff like that. To me, snagging a 50AL with a #2 dial and matching subset for $15 is a find. Several boxes of parts are not. Two colored 302's for $30 is a find. A Contempra prototype speaker phone is a find. Any prototype is a find. A Model One Picture Phone is a find. These are items to be restored and displayed proudly in a collection. A box of parts is not the same, unless the members want to change the rules and add "parts" to "telephone or a related item" to make it "telephone or a related item or telephone parts" and change all singular word such as "item" to "items" allowing multiple whatever (100 dial screws for $1) to be nominated.

It's the members forum so it's up to all of them, not just the moderators or a few members. So, open up the guidelines/rules for change or leave them as they are? That's the question right now.

Think about it and reply accordingly.

AE_Collector

While no one likes there to be rules and yes a find is a find is a find, we sort of wanted the finds to be either a telephone or at least a piece of telephone equipment of some sort. The problem with boxes of phones or parts is that almost always the nomination is for a box or boxes of stuff that hasn't even been gone through to see just what his there. It just looks like that most volume of stuff for the least amount of $$$ in most cases.

It is hard to draw the line but we have allowed a couple of phones to be entered together where they came as a pair though I am not certain that we would still do that unless they were say a blue AE 50 that came with a red AE 40. In other words, two great items that came together for one price. Now if a pink 500 mushroom phone happened to come with an everyday beige 500 it would be easy to toss the beige 500 in the corner and submit the pink 500 mushroom.

So occasionally someone is going to feel hard done by when they have scored boxes of great parts for $40 and it can't be entered in the Find of the Month even though it just might be one, but there is usually no reason that something out of the box can't be entered. In this recent case, there appears to be some nice complete colored 564/5 key sets in there that any one of would make a very nice Find of the Month contestant.

Terry

Jim Stettler

The find of the month is a single Item. Boxes come under "Deal of the Month".  Please post pictures of your box deals, and If you find something really cool in the box, you can submit it as a find.

Here is a "deal of the Month"
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2502.msg34179#msg34179

I would say the "find" in the boxes was the white 5302.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: Jim S. on February 23, 2017, 06:08:51 PM
The find of the month is a single Item. Boxes come under "Deal of the Month".  Please post pictures of your box deals, and If you find something really cool in the box, you can submit it as a find.

Here is a "deal of the Month"
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2502.msg34179#msg34179

I would say the "find" in the boxes was the white 5302.

Great idea Jim. So great there is now a child board under Collector's Corner titled "Deal of the Month" or week or day or year, doesn't matter other than give the board a catchy title.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=118.0

And the above "deal" has been moved into the child board.

So, thanks Jim for clearing up the distinction and offering that great idea. Anyone can post their "truck/trunk/box load" deals in that board.

Jim Stettler

How about "My killer deal"  . We can add a vote later.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 23, 2017, 09:15:00 PM
I think the statute of limitations expired on that one!
Well okay, I guess you are right.
  It is still a great name for the child board.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

TelePlay

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,

Fabius

The rules seem to be consistent in using therms like "your item, the item, thus indicating one item. It's stretching the spirit of the rules to call a large group of phones an item.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

I believe the "find of the month" threads may be a part of what made people arguing some months ago, the ratings are fun, but is also making discussions of whats right or wrong, may we make exact rules for what we should evaluate, or just stop it?

At least we could try to set up 5 simple rules.  E.g. got it in my hands during the last 30 days. value and whats payed is of no importance. ...

What do you think?

dsk

andre_janew

I think that in the future we may need a separate category for finds involving groups of phones.  This way, the single finds won't  be competing against group finds.