News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Dial Identification

Started by AE_Collector, November 27, 2011, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Ok, maybe this is part of the answer. I was looking at schematics for the NE Uniphone, and they call for a dial with the 29AK spring arrangement. Now, this looks as though it is the same arrangement and does have 6 terminals. By strapping two, it will function as a 25AK.

Interesting - you learn something every day! About all I have seen here are 29AKs as opposed to 25AKs - when in AE equipment, they always have been strapped.

Below the 29AK diagram, the more common 25AK.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on July 13, 2013, 03:51:27 PM
Quote from: G-Man on July 13, 2013, 01:46:39 PM
AECo type-24A36 dials came in a number of different flavors including some with contact spring pile-ups specifically configured for Western Electric telephones.

While the AK-25 is the most common pile-up used on Automatic Electric telephones, some of the other pile-ups include the following:

AK-24, AK-26, AK-27, AK-28, AK-29

Schematics for them are shown in the Automatic Electric catalogs.

Can you provide a link to an AE catalog that shows these pile-ups. I don't see this in the M section that is on the TCI site.
They are shown in the 1944 4055D catalog. I have a copy on disk. Not sure where I got it. Page 34.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

With some help from Paul F., I found the link to the catalog---it is 4055-D, not 4055D.  On page 31, it says (the fine print) that the shunt contacts are shown in the off-normal position, in other words, as they are with the finger wheel rotated.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/11195-aeco-catalog-4055-d-1944-ocr-r
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Dave,
        AE Bulletin No. 1015 , Jan. 1, 1929, pg. 28 .     stub
                                   ( Left click on pic to enlarge)
Kenneth Stubblefield

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on July 13, 2013, 06:22:52 PM

With some help from Paul F., I found the link to the catalog---it is 4055-D, not 4055D.  <snip> 

Thanks for pointing this out Dave.  I added 4055D to the keyword list, so it can now be found either way.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

At any rate, this has proved that you need to watch the contact configuration of a dial - it isn't merely enough to change over to a dial of the same model number.

I have no idea whether the drawings provided in a phone are drawn accurately to the point where the dial contacts are shown in their correct open or closed state, or whether those dials are shown cranked, or at rest. Nor could I see that because for an item that small, my vision is too poor to be able to see - I would see only a blur.

But the point is one has to be aware there are variations within AE 24 dials, and you do have to watch for them.

One just does the best they can, and I've never seen one yet I couldn't fix with a bit of work and thought.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

stub

Dave,
          Here's another different contact arrangement (AK 26) on a AE 24 dial. This is on a AE 1A. stub
                          ( Left click on pic to enlarge)
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Here's another different AE 24 Dial contact arrangement  D-730342-A , AE Bulletin 1015, 1-1-1929 , pg. 28 ,  before AK numbers. ( AK28 )  stub
                                                                         left click on pic to enlarge.  
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

I modified my earlier post on page 1 to include a 2nd type 11 dial.  It seems the early type 11 had the paper number plate and a glass cover like the sunburst dial.  Maybe the change can be traced by the patent number on the fingerwheel?
Dave

Contempra

Quote from: kleenax on December 19, 2011, 10:32:41 PM
Quote from: wds on December 19, 2011, 06:12:10 PM
Kleenax - that odd looking Kellogg Dial you posted a picture of - I found a picture of it in the 1923 Kellogg Catalog.  Page 254
Excellent!  Thanks for posting this!  I don't have that catalog; only the newer editions.

If you have this catalog, can you post it here please? thank you in advance. ;)

wds

Dave

Contempra

Quote from: wds on October 22, 2013, 09:54:03 AM
Much too large to post.  go here:

http://tinyurl.com/58xlx5

1923 catalog page 254

thank you for the link wds...beaucoup de choses dans ce lien :).

AE_Collector

Okay, this one is a Type 23 I'm thinking?? Porcelain Number Plate.

Terry

wds

Yes, type 23.  Larger fingerwheel to accommodate the larger center number ring, and mounting screws on the back of the dial.  Nice looking dial.
Dave

AE_Collector

I own a grand total of "one" of these early type AE dials. It is on an AE Stairstep Candlestick. None of it has ever been restored and it REALLY needs it.

I decided it was time to figure out what dial type it is and I'm going to guess a type 11 with a porcelain numberplate based on the pictures wds posted on the first page of this topic. It definitely has the thinner fingerstop of the type 11 dial that wds has and it has a porcelain plate. It only has the one spring pileup of the type 11 as well though I wonder if there were different spring pile-ups available for specific uses.

The back of it also looks just like the one wds posted half a dozen posts back.

Terry