News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric desk stand base and perch markings

Started by Sargeguy, May 10, 2012, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Both have the same 1916 Yearbook.  The Google Books copy also has the noted Railway Supply Supplement that is not in the Princeton Imaging scan.

Both versions have their strengths and weaknesses.  The GB version has more skewed and damaged pages, but the graphics are often cleaner.  It's a good place to start.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Nick in Manitou

In the lot of parts I picked up as described in the thread at: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16136.0
there is a part that looks to my untrained eye to be a perch with a threaded base.  And, through the thick black paint it SEEMS to be stamped with "20 AL".

Now, due to my inexperience, I may be looking at a very common part that is obviously a part easily recognized by others, but as part of a miscellaneous group of parts the only thing it looks like to me is a perch. 

But, I don't see any other perches with a threaded base in your listing of WE perches.  I would guess that perhaps it was a perch from a different manufacturer, but the apparent marking of "20 AL" has me thinking WE.

Can someone identify this part?  Is it part of a 1947 Ford transmission linkage?  Any ideas?  Should I drop it into a jar of lacquer thinner and get the paint off to see what the stamp says for sure?

The paint is thick, so it is hard to get the light to reflect properly off the stamped area for a photograph, but perhaps the photos below will help.

(If it turns out that this is not a perch at all, we can just delete this post!  I was going to PM Sargeguy but couldn't attach photos to a PM.)

Thanks,
Nick

Sargeguy

That's weird.  The WE solid perches are two pieces, but this looks like someone removed the bottom of a drawn perch and and replaced it with a threaded tube.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rdelius

that was not unuasual. the early perches were machined and not drawn from tubing.The ears threaded into the" hersheys kiss ".then a hole was drilled and a brass pin was inserted so things would lock in place. After polishing and plating it looked like one piece.

Nick in Manitou

So, rdelius, do you think that this piece is original with this piece of threaded tube, or would the original threaded piece have looked different?

Nick

rdelius

I think it is origional,someone unscrewed it from the solid threaded perch.

Russ Kirk

Greg, 

Many thanks for creating this posting.  I just obtained a 20-AS and was doing research. I can now confirm all components on my new find are correct.  This information is very helpful.  Better photo will come later, I have to get back to work.......

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Nick in Manitou

Uncovered a WE candlestick with a perch marked D-4462.  Any thoughts on what the history might be on it?

Thanks,
Nick

Markgregory

Great information and photos. A wonderful resource for candlestick information. Thanks, Mark

Sargeguy

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on June 16, 2018, 03:32:13 PM
Uncovered a WE candlestick with a perch marked D-4462.  Any thoughts on what the history might be on it?

Thanks,
Nick

"The D-XXXXXX" mark is usually found on switchboard equipment I believe. Does it have any other markings?  Interesting stick.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 06, 2018, 09:40:02 AM
"The D-XXXXXX" mark is usually found on switchboard equipment I believe. Does it have any other markings?  Interesting stick.
Here are the only other marks I can find...

The stick base and shaft are steel.

poplar1

Drawing numbers (D-numbers) were used on prototypes, items that had not yet been assigned an assembly code, and items that were produced in small quantities.

Perhaps you are thinking of J-numbers on key, PBX, and Central Office equipment.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

That's what I was thinking. The 302 prototypes out there have D numbers as well as early E handsets.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"