and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

telephone photos - david@london

Started by david@london, December 17, 2012, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

Dated on the base 21.6.66......

Doug Rose

David...wonderful phone..it is in pristine condition. I felt lucky to get my black set. Find of the month my friend.....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on October 15, 2019, 02:24:19 PM
....There is no internal ringer in the U43, does anyone have any info on the correct external one?

Could you pop a photo up of inside, some did have a ringer (have you tried ringing it)?

A good find in very nice condition.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

david@london

@Doug & CJ, thanks.

The line cord has been cut from its plug or connection box, so I might need to fit a new cord. Present one is 3 strand, red, white, blue.

Access via the base is bit of a dismantling job; it seems you need to to remove the cords' wiring block as the base plate is 'stepped' and dips under the block.

edit: wrong there, as pointed out by FabPhones, below. Remove 2 screw-in pillars in top corners

Meanwhile, a good shake of the phone results in no jingling or tinkling bells so I think its ringer-less. Didn't know some had internal ringers.

Searching for U43 external ringers, I found this image on a French forum called Futura...

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on October 16, 2019, 12:10:11 PM
The line cord has been cut from its plug or connection box, so I might need to fit a new cord....

Instructions on how to fit a UK line cord here:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#non

....Access via the base is bit of a dismantling job; it seems you need to to remove the cords' wiring block as the base plate is 'stepped' and dips under the block....

That shouldn't be necessary, but when I get a moment I'll open one of mine and take a couple of step by step photos. :)

....Meanwhile, a good shake of the phone results in no jingling or tinkling bells so I think its ringer-less. Didn't know some had internal ringers.

You won't hear any tinkling, no gongs in there. One of mine has a ringer, the other doesn't.

Here is another example of a French wall mounted bell set (hiding on the photo behind a PTT24):

david@london

Quote from: FABphones on October 16, 2019, 01:35:24 PM
Instructions on how to fit a UK line cord here:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#non

Many thanks.
I have a spare BT ivory 4 strand line cord.
It will need a rectifier across terminals 3+4?
Something like this?......ebay link.

Photos of interior....ou est mon ringer, CJ?

LarryInMichigan

These phones were not made with internal ringers.  I have both black and ivory versions, and neither has a ringer.  They are rather elegant looking.

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: david@london on October 16, 2019, 05:43:47 PM
...ou est mon ringer, CJ?

il n'y en a pas. It would seem more were made without.

You did good. It looks like it has been looked after.  :)

ETA: This listing, number 233371550056, now on eBay:

tubaman

That's a very nice example - made in the same year as me as well!
;D

david@london

Thanks tubaman, and thank you all for the help and info....it's now up & running, has dialtone.

Put in new ivory line cord, no rectifier seems to be necessary.

The external ringer would certainly be a great addition, I was interested to see what the appropriate one would look like.

Cheers guys.

Fr/Eng L.C. Setup reminder......

oldguy

Beautiful phone David. How many daughters do you have to give phones to?😀😀
Gary

david@london

Thanks, Gary.
I have two - they both like antique and vintage things, so were v pleased with their classic phones.

countryman

Not sure until ?when? the U43 were made, but a '66 is a late model. Mine is a '63.

david@london

Quote from: FABphones on October 16, 2019, 01:35:24 PM
One of mine has a ringer, the other doesn't.

FabPhones, is the ringer in your U43 an actual ringer with gongs, rather than a buzzer?

Countryman, I've been looking for info on that question, unsuccessfully. I would agree that 1966 must be a late model. The S63 I believe was first available in 1963 and quite widespread by '65.

david@london

Sorting through 15 or so SD cards of photos... found this, taken in London
December 2015....