News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Newby with Western Electric 302 needs help

Started by atenspro, February 22, 2023, 09:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atenspro

My wife has had this cool phone for a number of years. I'd like to install a new modular cord on it so that we can use it. I've been reading the forums here and know that it is a Western Electric 302. I've lowered the ringer tension because it was easy and something I understood. But I'm not a phone guy. I am pretty handy and have experience building computers. But the cord I have uses colors that I don't understand. I see from reading here that I'm supposed to move the ringer wire from ground to L1 in order for it to ring. But it looks like one of the two ringer wires is already connected to L1. The other is still connected to ground because I don't know what to do. Logic tells me not to put both ringer wires on L1. Would one of the people here who know 50 times more than I do look at my pictures and tell me what wires to connect where? Thank you in advance. Bill Lawson

Contempra

Welcome to the forum. Here on this diagram, you have everything you need to make it work except that it will not be modular style but for a correct connection of the internal parts and the connection in a telephone wall socket.

Do you know what dial is used in your phone? if it's a '5H' that's the connection you need to follow on the diagram. but if you take a picture of your dial , it's a plus .

atenspro

The dialer has 5H printed on the underside.

On closer inspection nothing is connected to ground on that little block in your diagram that has the second ringer wire connected to K. That is actualy where my second ringer wire is connected. It is connected to K also.

On the diagram "Central Office Line in" is only using two wires. So would I use only the two center wires on the cord whose plug I showed the picture of? If so can you tell, by looking at my picture of the plug, which colored wire would go on L1 and which one should go on L2?

Thank you in advance. Bill Lawson

TelePlay

Using the above circuit diagram posted by Denis, I have shadowed everything that is not needed to hook up the ringer.

Follow the full color circuit wires.

Your line cord seems to have the center wires as red and BLUE. Normally, the blue wire would be a green wire but it doesn't matter for what you are doing.

The outer wires (yellow and white), one on each side of the center BLUE and RED, are not used. Only the center two wires are active, the line in from the "CO" (central office).

I changed the green wire in the line cord to BLUE.

The line cord BLUE is attached to L1.
The RED ringer wire also is attached to L1.
The BLACK ringer wire is attached to K on the terminal board.
The GREY (SLATE) wire from the condenser (capacitor) is also attached to K on the terminal board.
The YELLOW wire from the condenser is connected to L2.
Finally, the RED wire from the line cord is also attached to l2.

This makes a complete circuit from line cord BLUE to RED through the ringer and the ringer capacitor (condenser).

The capacitor allows 90 VAC ringer current to flow through the ringer circuit ringing the phone.

The capacitor blocks DC talk current from passing through the ringer circuit once the phone is answered.

Simple as that.

atenspro

SUnset2

So that you can keep the original cord, get a modular adapter plug.  Search on Ebay, there are several there.

Contempra

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum. This is a great example of why this is the best forum on the net. Your problem was solved in no time. Congrats on another old phone still in use.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HowardPgh

RE: Post #4 with the 302 ringer circuit.
Can someone make a similar diagram for the 500 C/D ringer circuit?
Howard

MMikeJBenN27

In the interest of originality, please do not cut the shell to put a modular jack in it.  Instead, either remove the cover of the jack and hard-wire the cord to it, and make cut-outs in the jack cover.  Don't worry, you will not get electrocuted.  As an alternative, you can get an adapter to put your cord that will plug into a modular jack.  Remember, when dealing with collectible items, STOCK AND UNALTERED is way better.  Altering them often reduces them to merely "used items."

Mike

Contempra

Quote from: HowardPgh on March 13, 2023, 11:44:41 AMRE: Post #4 with the 302 ringer circuit.
Can someone make a similar diagram for the 500 C/D ringer circuit?

Is this what you are looking for ?

TelePlay

Quote from: HowardPgh on March 13, 2023, 11:44:41 AMRE: Post #4 with the 302 ringer circuit. Can someone make a similar diagram for the 500 C/D ringer circuit?

Done

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on March 13, 2023, 06:43:32 PMDone

I wish that someone would correct that diagram. The slate-red goes to A, and the slate goes to K.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Corrected and attached, as seen here, to the original topic.

The original image was left in the post at the below link to keep from breaking any internal image links that used the original image by way of hyperlinl.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2767.msg37636#msg37636