Started by ncali, March 16, 2019, 05:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncali

1)
a) Does it matter how it looks, or
b) Should it just work.

2) Do you want
a) high quality sound (closer to modern phones) or
b) the original sidetone making it more authentic, but you have to move the receiver a little from your ear when speaking and put it closer when listening.

The looks arent really important , I can hide the subset
and I dont need real high quality sound
I did find one on an auction site that should arrive in a week
I will need help connecting it
thank you for your reply

ncali

since the last time that I posted I picked up an auto electric
subset and followed the diagram I had to connect it. I get a dial tone
and the dial was working correctly the last time I checked but
tonite when I picked it up to use it I got a dial tone but when I tried to
dial out , I dialed the first two numbers of the area code and on the third
number It went into a busy signal

In my city , you must dial 1 + area code+ number to call next door.
  so when ever I try to dial a number it goes to a busy signal on the third number.  any reason for that?

dsk

This sounds as the dial may be out of what the exchange tolerates.  The first thing is to compare with another rotary that you know is working on the same line.  Then test if the speed of the dial is approximately right.  If you dial a zero on both phones and release the finger wheel at the same time, they should stop on the same time.

Testing the dial with a suitable tool will ofcourse be the best, but that is not in every bodies hand. A good alternative to may be a recording in Audacity (freeware)

You may not make the hardware described, when I changed PC I could just use my microphone input.
And ofcourse, you just connect the phone to the PC and not to the line.
manual

dsk

19and41

What the others are referring to is the speed of the dial's return after releasing it when dialing.  If it for instance, moves too slow, then the equipment that reads each set of pulses for each number you dial may not read them correctly.  It should move freely and steadily when released.  I am not an expert by any means.  Others will have to help you along in this process.  They are a great resource.  Have patience.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

ncali

In the diagram that I used to connect the phone and subset , it shows
a yellow wire from the induction coin in the subset to  terminal in the phone that continues to the center wire of the hook switch. I disconnected that wire  and it dials out again like it should
The receiver is still faint when you hear the dial tone but I can live with that.
Thank you all for your help

dsk