News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My favorite electric clocks.

Started by HobieSport, August 12, 2009, 01:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I don't have any spectacular Telechrons, Matt.  Most of mine are quite ordinary, and because of the size of my apartment, most of them are at my parents' house.  I have five of them on hand, and four of them are in service.

First, the one which is not in use, but works perfectly after eighty years, the 333 "Beverly:"

Next is one of the least flashy Telechrons, but there's something about the design which makes it a perfect, satisfying whole, to me.  It's the 3H85 "Resolute," and the chunky blue hands and numbers, the long red arrow-shaped second hand, the brass case, the cream dial... it all works beautifully as a design, and it's one of my favorite clocks:

A little later I ran into the scarce Telechron-labeled barometer, the 8027T "Forecaster," which was made by Airguide.  Some of these carry the Airguide name on the face, rather than the Telechron name.  The individual components were available combined as the sets 8H19T "Prophet" and 8030 "Quartermaster."  The Forecaster:

I was so taken by the "Resolute," that I sought out it's alarm version, the 7H109 "Flotilla," and it wakes me up every day without fail.  The dial is different from the dial of the "Resolute," in that there's an added wave-like design in the center of the dial, and the numbers are of a different typestyle:

In the kitchen there's a very late 2H45 "Swirl" with a nasty crack on the plastic dome that covers the face.  I got it for a dollar at a yard sale, so I can't complain too much.  It needs cleaning, but it's up over the kitchen window behind the sink, so it's hard to get to:

Not a Telechron, but my favorite of all the clocks I own, the Seth Thomas "Simsbury."  It's a large electric mantel clock with Westminster chimes.  Even though the case screams "1930s," it came out in the late 1940s.  This one had been running flawlessly since I bought it 25 years ago, but it recently began losing time, and was temporarily replaced by the big United ship clock that I posted about in the other clock thread.  The Simsbury undoubtedly needs a thorough cleaning and oiling, because, despite the fact that you're supposed to have this done every few years, I've never had it done, and who knows how long it had been running without a cleaning before I bought it.  So it sits silently in the spare room waiting for it's chance to sing again.

= DARRIN =

HobieSport

Thank you Bingster! They all look very nice to a newbie like me, and I do like the simple brass ship's wheel designs. The two wooden case models (tambour"?) are real beauties too. Thanks for going to the time and effort to post them.

So far some of my favorite Telechrons are just some of the smaller, simpler, and more common functional designs, but with a hint of deco. Just the kind of day to day affordable little clocks that "an average Joe" would have had back then.

For example the 7F03  Clarion, Thrush & Risewell:

http://www.telechrontime.net/goldenage/7f03.htm

These days I'm just familiarizing myself a little with them all, and learning more about the different designers. I'm not rushing into buying them unless I really like them and they are cheap and in decent shape.
-Matt

bingster

Quote from: HobieSport on August 16, 2009, 06:32:21 PMSo far some of my favorite Telechrons are just some of the smaller, simpler, and more common functional designs, but with a hint of deco. Just the kind of day to day affordable little clocks that "an average Joe" would have had back then.

That's what I gravitate toward, too.  I do appreciate the more radical, spectacular deco designs, but I've always tended to go more for the sort of thing the "average" person would have owned and appreciated.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 16, 2009, 06:32:21 PMI'm not rushing into buying them unless I really like them and they are cheap and in decent shape.

That's one of the great things about collecting Telechrons (and many other brands)--you can get most of them at very reasonable prices.  And if one you really like doesn't work, you can just buy a cheap working clock with the same works and swap them.  That's what I did with my "Flotilla."  When I bought it, it didn't work, and rather than go through the hassle of oiling the rotor, I bought a cheap working 7H141 "Airlux," which has the same movement, and put it in the Flotilla. 
= DARRIN =