News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1950's sessions clock

Started by Kenny C, February 17, 2010, 07:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I bought a clock at an antique shop in Jackson TN. It was an electric sessions clock. It worked when I pluged it in up there and it worked but when I brought it home It worked for about eight hours then it stopped.
I called our towns Jewlery store and they said that they might could fix it. I brought it in and the man that fixes the clocks said it probably needed a new motor. This was aboout three weeks ago. I left them my phone number and I haven't heard any thing. If you know where I could get a motor for a sessions clock if they do not find one please send me an e-mail
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

Welcome to the forum Kenny! 

Sessions clocks are pretty cool.  I don't have any sources for you to find a new motor, and since the shop has not called you back you might try going down there and seeing what's up.  I do know that the watchmakers out here in California are super busy and the wait time can be months, even as long as six months at a real busy shop, to get a watch or clock back from them. 

Kenny C

Gee I hope it doesn't take six months
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AET

I have one too, mantle clock with a Westminster chime, great clock, but runs very very slow.
- Tom

Kenny C

mine is not a mantle clock it is about six inches square
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

I have a sessions on my desk @ work. A nice garage sale find. Good luck on your motor. They are beautiful little clocks!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan/Panther

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on February 18, 2010, 02:49:54 AM
I have one too, mantle clock with a Westminster chime, great clock, but runs very very slow.

Tom;
Shorten the weight length ( Move it up on the rod ) on the pendulum. They usually have a thumb screw to turn on the bottom of the shaft.
That will speed up the clock.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Jorge

bingster

D/P, electric clocks don't have pendulums. ;)
= DARRIN =

Bill

If it ran, it doesn't need a new motor. There isn't much that can go wrong with these tiny motors. More than likely, the gear train has developed a bit of friction. In some cases, people have had good luck simply turning the clock upside down and plugging it in for a couple days. That tends to redsitribute the lubrication, and the clock starts and runs fine from then on.

If that doesn't work, it almost certainly needs two things. First is to clean the hardened grease and sludge out of the gear train. Second is to re-lube the gear train.

Assuming the motor is enclosed in a metal can, and you don't want to try to open the can, I have read in several places that the way to accomplish both is this.

First, drill a small hole in the back of the can, near the top. Then, using a hypodermic or a small pseudo-hypodermic like you use to oil a sewing machine, inject some solvent into the can. Shake it, slosh it, let it sit, repeat. Drain out the solvent - you may need to suck it out with the hypodermic if you are in a hurry, or simply turn it over on a pad of paper towel and wait overnight for it to gradually drain out. Repeat the whole process until the solvent comes out thin, not sludged up. I have the feeling that two applications is usually sufficient.

Then, using the same hypodermic, inject a few drops of oil into the can. The motor should start and distribute the oil. If not, try laying the clock on its side, on its back, etc.

Finally, when it is running fine, close up the hole. Some people solder the hole closed, some smear on a tiny glob of epoxy. Just be sure not to get any sealant into the can.

Bill

AET

It's an electric clock, so no pendulum, I imagine it just needs to be oiled, which is an easy task...the hard task is taking all my phones off the shelving unit to pull it away from the wall so I can unplug the darn clock!!!

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 18, 2010, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom on February 18, 2010, 02:49:54 AM

Tom;
Shorten the weight length ( Move it up on the rod ) on the pendulum. They usually have a thumb screw to turn on the bottom of the shaft.
That will speed up the clock.
D/P
- Tom