"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting 500 set up

Started by TelePlay, December 25, 2014, 03:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

And the line cord goes where?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Western-Electric-rotary-dial-phone-Two-tone-Blue-green-Bell-System-/361163823530

|
|
|
|
|
  V

Okay, I found this to it mildly humorous after the double take when seeing this listing, humorous enough to post, but that's about it. Not out to embarrass the seller, obviously not a phone guy selling this. I give them credit for putting up a nice looking, complete listing other than the point of this post. But, I still wonder how the seller got that handset cord jack to fit? Can that be done with damaging either the plug or jack. I never tried it.

Weco355aman

The handset plug is smaller than the line cord. No it won't hurt the base jack.
Phil

andre_janew

The only way he could've done it is by starting out with a non-modular case and cutting the holes to fit the modular jacks.  Even so, he might have needed to add some extra wire.  My theory is that he may be a phone guy who is not familiar with American phones.

Kenton K

Based on the M on the number card (usually referring to modular phone), and the 1979 refurb date, the case looks WE original. I don't think it has been modified.

also...

In my home, all my wall jacks are RJ45 jacks, the size for Ethernet. These all lead to a control panel where I can wire some to the router and some to the POTS. This way, all the jacks are compatible with both RJ45 and RJ11 jacks. Telephone jacks are smaller and fit right in.

Ken

andre_janew

I have a couple of modular  phones.  I tried to plug the handset cord where the line cord normally goes.  It won't take hold because the plug is too small.  Another possibility is either glue or chewing gum.  The originally theory about this guy not being a phone guy may be true after all.

Kenton K

You may  have to push it in pretty deep to get it to hold. I have used curly handset cords as line cord before myself so it is "strechy".

KK

andre_janew

Maybe so,  I haven't really done that sort of thing yet.  I did, however, just asked the seller if he was aware of where the handset cord was supposed to be plugged in.  Maybe he'll post new pictures of it plugged in properly.  Worst case, he'll just send me an email telling me I don't know what I'm talking about and call me an #@*8##  in the process.

TelePlay

Well, someone wanted it. Sold yesterday for $40 including shipping.

McHeath

andre_janew

Let's hope the guy who bought it knows where the handset cord is supposed to be plugged in!

AE_Collector

The guy who bought it did so because he has been looking for a phone where the line cord plugs into the side rather than the back for a long time now. Finally he found one!

Terry

andre_janew

Now he's probably looking for a special line cord because the standard ones won't fit.  In the event he finds that special line cord, do you think he'll get a dial tone when he plugs it in?

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 10, 2015, 11:48:04 AM
Sounds like a negative feedback as well as an ebaY claim in the making!

Terry,

Did you happen to see that the seller of this phone has about 2,500, yes, 2,500 items currently listed on eBay, with a 99.9% feedback rating?

AE_Collector

No I didn't notice that. We should take back what we said about him not knowing where to plug the handset cord in....he probably did it in his sleep!

Terry

andre_janew

All the feedback has been positive except for four that have been neutral and two that have been negative.  It is possible that this phone may be among the two negatives.