News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

102 Problems

Started by Kenny C, November 03, 2011, 01:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

Ok guys I need some help. I purchased a 1930 B1 from a forum member a few months ago. I cleaned the body and added a handset and dial. I added a dial that I knew was good.  

I am having problems with the phone mis-dialing. It is hit and miss. Sometimes the phone will dial out and other times it just gets me through the first 3 numbers.

I've gone through all of the wiring many times and replaced the dial twice.  I have it wired to a 302 base and it works fine on my 202 and 51AL but not for my 102.  

Has anyone had this problem before? Any help will be very appreciated.

I have attached a picture of the inside of the phone.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

I'm going to guess the trouble is that while dialing you get "hung up on" and get a new dial tone.  In which case I'll guess that the trouble is in your hookswitch contacts.

One, they might be dirty in some subtle way, for example a trace of soap film from when you cleaned the phone, or just tarnish or something.  In that case drag a short strip of paper through the contacts when they're closed, and that'll clean them well enough to see if the trouble condition improves somewhat.

Two, they might be adjusted incorrectly such that they are just barely making contact.  Then the additional vibration from dialing causes them to go open long enough to interfere with dial pulses and "hang up" briefly. 

If the latter is the case, check the clearances from the actuator to the hookswitch spring contacts. When the receiver is off the hook, the actuators should be entirely clear of the hookswitch contacts. 

If the actuator is already clear of the contacts, then it may be that the contacts aren't making with enough force to assure solid contact between them.  If this is the case, then you'll have to unscrew the contact assembly and (be darn careful to keep all the bits in the right order) then gently bend the lower of each set of contacts upward slightly.  Then reassemble again and see what happens.

Beyond that, the only other issue that could be causing it is marginal contact between an insulation-piercing spade lug and the conductors in a strap.  Wiggle all the straps to see if that causes any nasty scratching sounds, and if Yes, then you've found the culprit. 

Aside from that I would also suggest putting a spark quench capacitor across the dial pulse contacts, just to reduce the effects of sparks during dialing.  0.22 microfarad at 200 volts DC should do it.  This isn't strictly original but IMHO justified to prolong the life of the dial pulse contacts.

dsk

One more idea:
All the current goes through the transmitter, putting a resistor in parallel to the transmitter may sometimes solve such problems, reduce noise etc. The resistor should be at least 200 ohms, and not more than 500 ohms. If you are connected to a 50 (60) V line 220 ohms should be OK, if you are connected to a 24V system, the resistor could be 330 ohms. Test with whatever you have. To low resistance will steal the current from the transmitter, to high will not let through enough current to keep the line when the transmitter fails to do it.

dsk

DARK FATHER

When I got my 202 first working it misdialed all the time.  It was the governor in the dial.

Kenny C

I wired the 102 for anti sidetone today and it dialed 10 different numbers correctly.

but when wired for sidetone it misdials every time. Could this be something to do with the phone-to-subset wire?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

If you are wiring a 102 to an antisidetone subset or a 302 "subset", and with the three deskset wires, red yellow, and green, you should connect them just the same as with the 202, except that there is no black wire to connect.

At the point in the antisidetone subset where the black wire would normally be connected, you should add a jumper wire between this point and L2/Y.  I don't think this jumper has been mentioned before in this forum, but it is needed for proper voice reception on the distant end.

I don't think the lack of the jumper, though, will keep the phone from dialing.

You might wast to double check the wiring of the phone.

-Bill G