News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What has happenned to the price of phones on ebay?

Started by Bill Cahill, October 22, 2008, 06:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

I was lucky to win a receiver cord for one of my WE 500's. today.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Sargeguy

I think phone prices have completely tanked on eBay.  It is a buyer's market if you dig around.  The crazy BIN will always be there but that doesn't mean people are buying them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan

I agree with you. I just way a soft plastic  500 go for around $6. (it was white or ivory from '58)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bones92

As for the thrill of the hobby, as a military arms enthusiast, I agree that there are many more pleasant finds available to those of us who don't dabble in high-end items, and I somehow doubt that most of you guys and gals just sit around fondling your phones in the evening (well, maybe SOME do!  ;) )

It is enjoyable to find items that represent the cutting-edge of technology during its day, whether it be a telephone or an old bolt-action rifle, and to do so without spending more than $300 (and often much less).   

I've always thought that collectors of such items tend to have a more analytical and comprehensive approach to understanding their world.  Perhaps a bit of a self-centered viewpoint, but seeing the inherent merits of various designs is a sign of awareness and intelligence in my book.  Plus there's the coolness factor; who knows what business that telephone handled during its day.  Did a young lady talk to her sweetheart long-distance as he was getting ready to ship out for war?  Did someone proudly tell a loved one about the pending birth of a baby using that phone?   Or perhaps the phone was just part of someone's life, making everyday chores and tasks so much easier by being able to make a call.

You never know...

NorthernMan

Bones92, thats the best description of hobbyst/collectors i have ever read. Especially the part  about awareness and intelligence . I agree totally !

jsowers

Quote from: Dan on August 14, 2011, 09:35:27 AM
I agree with you. I just way a soft plastic  500 go for around $6. (it was white or ivory from '58)

Dan, just to set the record straight, that '58 white soft plastic phone had a huge quarter-moon chip out of the bottom edge of the housing on the right and a very large crack halfway around the cord exit in the rear. So unless you had a white housing sitting around, it was a parts phone. Still, that is a good price just for the cords, even when you add in the shipping.

I had a collector friend who got pictures of the crack and chip from the seller and tried to bid on that phone at the last minute. Ebay was acting up and his bid never registered. So that could be why it was so low.
Jonathan

Dan

I agree with your assessment. Even with the crack, the original cord and handset make it a keeper.

White tenites are rare IMO
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

jsowers

Here are the pictures of that white 58 phone, if anyone's interested. That is some crack.
Jonathan